Sunny Delight Beverages Co. Releases Fourth Annual Sustainability Report
CINCINNATI, July 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sunny Delight Beverages Co., a leading producer of fruit-based drinks in North America, today released its fourth annual Sustainability Report. The report details the company's commitments, achievements and opportunities against its triple bottom line approach to sustainability—economic performance, environmental stewardship and social responsibility.
"Sunny Delight Beverage's Co.'s commitment to sustainability is unwavering and we are pleased to share our progress. Our 2011 focus was on implementing our $85 million supply chain reinvention project designed to improve our products, plants, planet and profits," said Ellen Iobst , chief sustainability officer and senior vice president, manufacturing and technology. "We have achieved a number of our sustainability goals and we are on track to achieve even more in the years ahead as our sustainability journey continues."
Notable achievements in this year's report include:
- Reduced average number of calories per beverage serving from 92 in 2007 to 50 by the end of 2011--a 46% reduction achieved three years ahead of schedule. This represents a 140 billion calorie reduction per year and removes 40 million pounds of potential weight gain from the American diet annually.
- New easier to pour and store square bottle will reduce overall packaging material by 9.7 million pounds per year once fully implemented.
- Continued to ship 90%+ of volume in full truckloads.
- Reduced per-unit non-product related water usage by 20% at Anaheim, CA and South Brunswick, NJ plants since 2007.
- Manufacturing sites reused, recirculated or recycled nearly three billion gallons of water.
- Reduced per-unit energy usage by 12% at Anaheim and South Brunswick plants since 2007.
- Reduced per-unit carbon footprint by 48% at Anaheim and South Brunswick plants since 2007.
- Maintained zero waste to landfill at all plants—diverting nearly 36 million pounds of waste from landfills since 2007.
- Increased participation in employee wellness programs.
- Contributed nearly $1 million in monetary and product donations, in addition to employees' volunteer time, to assist more than 50 worthy organizations or causes.
Iobst continued, "We are making a difference and we invite our stakeholders to review our progress at http://ww2.sunnyd.com/company/overview.shtml."
About the Report
SDBC's 2011 Sustainability Report was developed using the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) third generation ("G3.1") guidelines and the Food Processing Sector Supplement (FPSS) at a self-declared Application Level B.
About Sunny Delight Beverages Co.
Sunny Delight Beverages Co. is one of the fastest growing, leading producers of juice-based drinks in North America. It is dedicated to helping moms improve the vitality of their families by creating and marketing more wholesome beverages. The company's brands include SunnyD citrus punch, Fruit Simple fruit smoothies, Fruit2O flavored waters, Bossa Nova "superfruit" beverages, Veryfine 100% juices and juice drinks, Elations dietary supplement for joint health, and Crystal Light ready-to-serve beverages. All SDBC plants have achieved zero waste to landfills. For more information, log onto ww2.sunnyd.com/company/overview.shtml.
SOURCE Sunny Delight Beverages Co.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.