CINCINNATI, July 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Sunny Delight Beverages Co., SDBC, released its fifth annual Sustainability Report which showcases further progress against its sustainability goals. During 2012, SDBC completed its $85 million state-of-the-art reinvention project enabling the firm to realize the efficiency, sustainability and economic benefits of the largest initiative ever undertaken by the company.
"We are proud of our sustainability achievements to date, but it is a journey without end," said Billy Cyr, president and chief executive officer of SDBC. "While we do not have all the answers to the issues covered in our latest Report, we want to be part of the solution wherever we can. We are committed to sustainability and we will continue to listen, learn and lead in this arena," assured Cyr.
Highlights covered in the company's most recent Sustainability Report include:
- Completed $85 million initiative aimed at improving every SDBC plant and product.
- Further reduced the average number of calories per beverage serving from 92 in 2007 to 48 today—a 48% reduction—removing 174 billion calories from the American diet.
- Shipped 90+% volume in full truckloads and nearly 98% in fuel efficient carriers.
- Key reductions from baselines: per-unit, non-product related water use down 3%; per-unit energy use down 17%; per-unit carbon footprint down 10%; packaging materials down nearly 24 million pounds; and all SDBC plants continue to send zero waste to landfills.
- Contributed nearly $1.4 million in monetary and product donations to nearly 50 national and local organizations, in addition to the SunnyD Book Spree's donation of nearly 238,000 classroom books for a total book donation of more than 800,000 since 2007 with an estimated retail value of $4.7 million.
About Sunny Delight Beverages Co.
Sunny Delight Beverages Co. is a leading producer of juice-based drinks in North America. It is dedicated to helping moms improve the vitality of their families by creating and marketing more wholesome beverages. The company's brands include SunnyD citrus punch, Fruit2O flavored waters, Veryfine 100% juices and juice drinks, and Elations dietary supplement for joint health. For a review of the entire 2012 Sustainability Report, log onto http://ww2.sunnyd.com/company/overview.shtml.
SOURCE Sunny Delight Beverages Co.