LOS ANGELES, Oct. 19, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --
THE NEW TERMINAL 6 HIGHLIGHTS
- $70.5 million investment by LAWA, Westfield and operating partners
- 22,299 square feet of new dining, retail and common areas
- 21 new dining and retail destinations, including 14 L.A. brands and 13 airport firsts
- Unique traveler journey inspired by Sunset Boulevard recreates the drive from Downtown L.A. to the beach
- 93 percent projected increase in sales
Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) and Westfield unveiled the new Terminal 6 at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on Wednesday, the latest milestone in the LAX modernization, featuring a bold new design and 21 new retail and dining concepts. Terminal 6 is the second redesigned terminal unveiled this year following the transformation of Terminal 2, which debuted in February.
More than 22,000 square feet were transformed in Terminal 6, which delivers a unique traveler journey inspired by L.A.'s iconic Sunset Boulevard. The redevelopment includes the new retail and dining collection and nearly 5,300 square feet of improvements to common areas, including the new terrazzo floor and ribbon ceiling, three sets of bathrooms, new electrical and IT infrastructure as well as tenant office spaces.
The transformation was possible through a $70.5 million total investment from LAWA, Westfield and operating partners.
"We're raising the bar for what's possible at an airport," said Deborah Flint, Los Angeles World Airports Chief Executive Officer. "LAWA and Westfield are providing passengers a special experience that allows them to sample the best of L.A., food and drink, unique shops and modern amenities. Now they can find all that and more in Terminal 6."
Los Angeles and LAX had a record-breaking year in 2015. The city had 45.5 million visitors, and LAX – undergoing an $8.5 billion modernization program – saw 74.9 million passengers.
"What you see here today in Terminal 6 marks a milestone in our efforts to transform LAX as part of our Modernization Program, the largest construction program in Los Angeles City history," said Board of Airport Commissioner Gabriel Eshaghian. "We thank Westfield and our airline partners for contributing to this tremendous effort and know we cannot realize our vision of a world-class airport without their help."
LAWA and Westfield's on-site design, construction and tenant coordination team worked together with their project partners to complete the 20-month redevelopment ahead of schedule and under budget.
"LAWA had the bold vision to completely transform the traveler experience at the airport," said Keith Kaplan, Westfield's Vice President at LAX. "We're so honored to help make that happen, right here in our hometown, and we're infusing the culture and spirit of Los Angeles into LAX."
The design inspiration of Sunset Boulevard unified a terminal that had been built out over 40 years. The central satellite was built in 1961, and a connector was later added for the 1984 Olympics. The south end connector was built in the 1990s to accommodate additional growth.
Using the existing terminal components, like winding hallways and varying elevations, the new traveler experience mirrors the drive along Sunset Boulevard.
The new terminal experience is organized by interconnected neighborhoods that guide travelers on their journey. After passing through the TSA checkpoint, travelers initially encounter a Downtown L.A. vibe. This neighborhood feels like an urban street, complete with concrete walls and metal finishes.
The new ribbon ceiling and terrazzo floor guide travelers into Sunset Plaza, which has inviting, open spaces to eat, drink and people watch. Travelers then flow into the Sunset Strip and Garden Terrace zones, where high-end retail and local dining burst with the energy of West Hollywood.
"HMSHost is so excited to be part of the enhancements in LAX's Terminal 6 by bringing new restaurants to travelers," said Amy Dunne, Vice President of Business Development at HMSHost, which operates seven dining concepts in the new Terminal 6. "These locations provide variety to travelers while delivering unique culinary offerings and superior customer service. We look forward to continuing to elevate the traveler's dining experience here at the airport."
The traveler journey is complete at the beach, where the gates have renewed life and energy. It's the perfect place to wait for a flight.
"Osteria is one of the latest examples of SSP America's ability to bring cool restaurants to the airport," said Michael Svagdis, Chief Executive Officer of SSP America, which will also operate Peet's Coffee & Tea. "We'll serve almost 50,000 pizzas this year alone in a restaurant that truly is a stunning addition to T6. We're grateful for the opportunity to bring this incredible restaurant to LAX."
The new dining and retail collection features 21 new concepts and 14 L.A. brands:
- Find the latest in electronics and cutting-edge technology at Belkin;
- Experience L.A. beach-inspired cuisine at Blu2o;
- Delight in healthy, fresh juices and salads for a signature California lifestyle at earthbar;
- Indulge in juicy California-style charburgers at The Habit Burger Grill;
- Discover the best designer apparel for men, women and kids from one of Southern California's most chic boutiques at M.Fredric;
- Stock up on quality cosmetics for the makeup addict at MAC Cosmetics;
- Choose from a variety of tastes to suit every palate and budget at The Marketplace by Wolfgang Puck, featuring The Kitchen, WPizza, and The Wine Bar;
- Taste traditional old-world Italian cuisine at Osteria by Fabio Viviani; a debut L.A. concept created by the famed Top Chef;
- Grab a hot cup of the world's premier specialty coffee and teas at Peet's Coffee & Tea;
- Sample world-class craft beers by a local craft brewery at Point the Way Café;
- Choose from over 100 different candies and chocolates with rich heritage at See's Candies;
- Sip on the world's best known coffees at two Starbucks locations;
- Shop the leading international business, accessory and travel lifestyle brand at TUMI;
- Chow down on a menu of eclectic fusion fare with a Hawaiian vibe at Wahoo's Fish Taco; and
- Pick up must-have travel essentials at Los Angeles Magazine News, Access Hollywood, Sunset News, and MARKET 8600.
"Hudson Group and Dufry are proud of the latest improvements at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Terminal 6, which will further transform the travel experience for airport customers in L.A.," said Michael Mullaney, Executive Vice President of Business Development and Strategy, Hudson Group. "The new luxurious destination features thoughtful concepts, local perspectives and well-known brands. As the largest concessionaire at LAX with more than 47 stores, and the largest retail concessionaire in LAX T6, we could not be more excited to offer our traveler's best friend philosophy to customers at one of the country's busiest airports."
Six operating partners worked together with LAWA and Westfield to transform the traveler journey, including Delaware North; HMSHost; Hudson Group; J&H Enterprises; SSP America; and TUMI, Inc.
About Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
LAX is the fifth busiest airport in the world and second in the United States, offering 692 daily nonstop flights to 85 domestic cities and 928 weekly nonstop flights to 67 cities in 34 countries on nearly 60 air carriers. LAX ranks 14th in the world and fifth in the U.S. in air cargo tonnage processed, with more than 2.1 million tons of air cargo valued at over $86.9 billion. Terminal 6 serves 4.5 million departing passengers annually on Alaska Airlines, Allegiant Air, Continental Airlines, Copa Airlines, Frontier Airlines, Horizon Air, and United.
Westfield Corporation (ASX Code: WFD) is an internally managed, vertically integrated, shopping center group undertaking ownership, development, design, construction, funds/asset management, property management, leasing and marketing activities and employing approximately 2,000 staff worldwide. Westfield Corporation has interests in 35 shopping centers in the United States and the United Kingdom, encompassing approximately 6,500 retail outlets and total assets under management of $29bn.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sunset-boulevard-comes-to-the-new-terminal-6-at-lax-300347922.html