BEDFORD, Mass., Dec. 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- VoltDB, a leading provider of the industry's only in-memory fast data platform to power mission-critical real-time applications, today announced the results of one of the industry's first surveys to uncover the state of real-time data analysis in today's enterprise. Conducted by independent panel research firm Research Now, the survey examines how different roles within the enterprise view real-time data capabilities and requirements.
The survey of CIOs, IT managers and developers revealed that while 67 percent of respondents believe their organization has the ability to analyze data in real time, nearly the same percentage of respondents (66 percent) believe real-time applications are only meeting business needs 50 percent of the time. With real-time streaming analytics rapidly becoming the lifeblood of today's data-driven economy, the study uncovered a number of disconnects in how organizations and job titles view real-time data.
- Ninety-one percent of CIOs, IT managers and developers agree that real-time streaming data analysis can have a positive impact on their company's bottom line.
- While 84 percent of CIOs believe their organization can analyze data in real-time, only 42 percent of developers agree with that statement.
- Forty-eight percent of developers believe the biggest obstacles to responding and acting in real time are budget and internal resource constraints, compared to only 18 percent of CIOs that feel the same way.
- Only 35 percent of respondents define real-time as actions occurring in less than a second or in milliseconds, compared to 32 percent of respondents that define it in minutes or lack a real-time standard altogether.
- Fifty-six percent of respondents believe real-time streaming data applications have different requirements than Big Data applications.
"While there's increasing recognition that competitive advantage depends on how quickly you can use data to make your business smarter, more engaging, responsive and interactive, there's a gap in understanding how to effectively deploy the solutions that will have the most impact," said Peter Vescuso, vice president of marketing, VoltDB. "With the industry's only purpose-built architecture for fast data, VoltDB powers mission-critical applications with new levels of features, functionality and performance, helping customers realize more value from the enormous amounts of live data entering their organizations."
To download an infographic and comprehensive report outlining the findings of the study, please visit: www.voltdb.com/fastdatasurvey2015
This study was conducted by Research Now, which surveyed more than 150 IT professionals in the third quarter of 2015, with a near equal breakdown between CIOs, developers and IT managers. The majority of respondents represented organizations of at least 500 to more than 10,000 employees across a number of key industries, from retail and telecommunications to financial services and energy.
VoltDB's in-memory SQL database combines streaming analytics with transaction processing in a single, horizontal scale-out platform. Customers use VoltDB to build applications that process streaming data the instant it arrives to make immediate, per-event, context-aware decisions. By delivering real-time in-transaction analytics that always produce correct results, VoltDB enables businesses to capture economic value and develop new revenue opportunities in the mobile, financial services, IoT, energy, advertising, and security industries. VoltDB is privately held with offices in Bedford, Massachusetts, and Santa Clara, California.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/survey-reveals-enterprise-disconnect-on-real-time-streaming-data-analysis-300193484.html