Survey Shows People Need More Help Controlling Personal Info Online
New videos and tips from Microsoft help consumers better manage privacy
REDMOND, Wash., Jan. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- To mark Data Privacy Day 2013, Microsoft Corp. released new data reflecting consumers' perceptions about how their information is used online and a new series of short videos to help people better manage their online privacy.
According to the results of a Microsoft-commissioned survey* of 1,000 U.S. adults, people feel they have little to no control about how their data may be collected by online companies. They are also increasingly in search of trusted sources of information to help them make better choices about their online privacy. Highlights of the research include the following:
- Forty-five percent said they feel they have little or no control over the personal information companies gather about them while they are browsing the Web or using online services, such as photo-sharing, travel or gaming.
- Four in 10 said they feel they totally or mostly understand how to protect their online privacy.
- An equal number of people (39 percent) said they are turning to friends and family, as well as company privacy statements, as their top source for privacy information.
- A third of those surveyed (32 percent) said they are paying attention to companies' privacy reputations, track records and policies when choosing which websites to visit or services to use.
"As online activities have become a valuable part of daily life, privacy is incredibly important. At Microsoft, we strive to help our customers manage their personal information online by providing easy-to-understand privacy policies, settings and guidance," said Brendon Lynch, chief privacy officer, Microsoft. "We take seriously our responsibility to customers by investing in a comprehensive and dynamic privacy program that implements our policies and delivers privacy innovations to our customers."
As part of the company's longstanding commitment to privacy, Microsoft has created a new video series called "Privacy in Action" to highlight features that can help people better manage their personal information online. The videos, as well as guidance and information about privacy options in Microsoft products and services, will be available at http://www.microsoft.com/yourprivacy. The videos illustrate privacy capabilities and preferences in Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and Microsoft's Personal Data Dashboard. More videos on other products and services will be coming soon.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
* Survey conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs
SOURCE Microsoft Corp.
More by this Source
Microsoft selected by Emirates for #AllTimeGreats global football ad campaign
Apr 16, 2014, 05:00 ET
Microsoft delivers data platform for the era of ambient intelligence
Apr 15, 2014, 13:45 ET
Microsoft Announces Quarterly Earnings Release Date
Apr 08, 2014, 16:05 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.