CHICAGO, June 28, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Home Chef, a Chicago-based meal kit delivery service, today announced the results of a new survey showing that 75 percent of Americans never, barely or only occasionally eat healthy foods. The survey found unhealthy eating habits are driven by a lack of time, the convenience of unhealthy food, a lack of cooking skills and lack of knowledge of how to establish a healthy diet. Home Chef surveyed more than 1,000 Americans to learn more about their eating and cooking habits.
- Food For Thought: Over 40 percent of respondents said the convenience of fast food and food delivery is why they do not eat healthily, while nearly the same amount of people said they simply do not have time to eat healthy meals.
- Cooking 101: Over 40 percent of respondents do not consider themselves to be good enough cooks to enable them to eat healthily all the time.
- Why Oh Why: Over 50 percent believe they are or may be overweight. When asked why:
- 60 percent said the portion sizes they eat are too large
- 52 percent said their family does not know how to buy healthy food
- 25 percent said their family does not have time to cook healthy meals
- 16 percent said their family does not know how to cook healthy meals
- A Healthy Solution: Over 80 percent of respondents agreed that a meal kit delivery service containing easy-to-follow recipes and pre-portioned ingredients could help them and their families eat healthier.
"The time it takes to find healthy recipes, go grocery shopping and prepare a meal can be a deterrent to healthy home cooking," said Pat Vihtelic, founder and CEO of Home Chef. "Home Chef takes care of the time-consuming tasks of meal planning and grocery shopping, while offering easy-to-follow instructions to simplify home cooking. Our goal is to make it possible to have healthy, satisfying home-cooked meals without the hassle."
Home Chef provides consumers with a convenient service that delivers fresh, pre-portioned ingredients to their home weekly. Ingredients arrive with detailed, simple instructions to allow customers to prepare home-cooked meals in about 30 minutes. Home Chef offers a solution to the unhealthy eating and cooking habits that affect so many Americans by providing healthy ingredients in precisely the right amount to eliminate overeating. Home Chef also provides information that enables consumers with even minimal kitchen experience to prepare meals in a convenient and timely manner.
To order your first Home Chef meal, visit homechef.com.
Pricing and Availability:
Home Chef delivers gourmet meals for only $9.95 per serving, unless otherwise specified. With an order of $45 or more, shipping is free.
Home Chef's service is available to over 90 percent of the U.S. population.
About Home Chef
Headquartered in Chicago, Home Chef is a meal kit delivery service providing fresh ingredients and easy-to-follow recipes to households across the U.S. Home Chef offers thirteen meals that can be selected from a new menu every week, with step-by-step instructions for quality dishes made right at home. For more information on Home Chef, visit https://www.homechef.com/ or follow on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
All trademarks and product names are the property of their respective companies.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/survey-shows-poor-american-diet-stems-from-lack-of-time-and-healthy-food-knowledge-300290758.html
SOURCE Home Chef