CHICAGO, April 7, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Susan G. Komen® Chicagoland Area Affiliate (Komen Chicago) is proud to announce its 2016 community grant recipients. Komen Chicago has now surpassed $16 million in community grants since its inception in 1997. This year's 8 grantees offer a range of services including genetic counseling, providing free mammograms and breast cancer treatment.
"These institutions share Komen's commitment and passion to helping everyone in the Chicagoland Area receive proper detection and care so we can eradicate breast cancer forever," said Aminah Abdullah, Senior Manager of Community Programs for Komen Chicago. "These organizations play a significant role in their communities and can provide access to resources on a local basis. We believe these grass root programs are a critical part of defeating breast cancer, and look forward to working together to help as many women as possible across the five-county region."
The following grant recipients will be recognized during Komen Chicago's Mother's Day Race for the Cure on May 8th in Grant Park. Register here.
- Advocate Health Care: A Community-Based Approach to Reducing Breast Health Disparities
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center: Screening for Life
- Erie Family Health Center: Providing Access to the Breast Cancer Continuum of Care for Underserved Hispanic Women in Chicago
- Esperanza Health Centers: Partners of Hope
- Metropolitan Chicago Breast Cancer Task Force: Beyond October
- Mount Sinai Hospital: Helping Her Live: Gaining Control of Breast Cancer
- Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center: Breast Care for Low-Income Women Program
- Swedish Covenant Hospital: Community Breast Health and Cancer Survivorship Program
About Susan G. Komen® Chicagoland Area Affiliate
Komen Chicago was established in 1997, when it held its first Race for the Cure®. Since its founding, Komen Chicago has awarded over $16 million locally towards the fight against breast cancer, funding research, navigation, screening, diagnostics, treatment and treatment support services for uninsured and underinsured individuals in need. Komen Chicago services Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake and McHenry Counties.
75% percent of net proceeds generated by Komen Chicago stay in the Chicagoland Area, while the remaining 25% supports the Susan G. Komen® Grants Program for research. For more information visit www.komenchicago.org.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/susan-g-komen-chicagoland-announces-2016-community-grants-300247900.html
SOURCE Susan G. Komen - Chicago