LOS ANGELES, Feb. 21, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- This year Swarovski celebrates its 10th year adding glamour to the Oscars® stage.
Since 2007, Swarovski has provided over a million Swarovski crystals to the stage at the annual Academy Awards,® with this year promising to be the most spectacular to date. Collaborating with Oscars Production Designer Derek McLane the 89th Oscars stage will feature over 300,000 dazzling crystals.
Additionally, Atelier Swarovski, a responsible fine jewelry collection, will debut on the 89th Academy Awards® red carpet as part of the Red Carpet Green Dress initiative. The Collection features Swarovski Created Diamonds and crystals that reflect Swarovski's legacy of craftsmanship, innovation and commitment to responsible practices.
Nadja Swarovski, Member of the Swarovski Executive Board, commented: "We are excited to unveil our first Atelier Swarovski Fine Jewelry Collection on the Academy Awards red carpet this year. The collection, which has been handcrafted in Paris with Swarovski Created Diamonds and crystals, is a reflection of our 120-year heritage, and the innovation, craftsmanship and sustainability embedded in our company's DNA."
Swarovski has a long heritage in the entertainment industry and has collaborated with Hollywood's finest costume and set designers for over 85 years. Swarovski crystals have played a supporting role in some of cinema's most memorable moments and have adorned the silver screen's most iconic stars, from Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz, Marilyn Monroe in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's, to Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls, Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge! and Lily James in Cinderella.
Following the 89th Academy Awards, the Atelier Swarovski Fine Jewelry Collection will appear at red carpet events around the world. In addition, retail delineations of the jewelry pieces will be available in 2018.
Download images of the collection here (Courtesy of Atelier Swarovski):
The 89th Academy Awards® will be held on Sunday, February 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood, and will be broadcast live on the ABC Television Network at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT. The Oscars, produced by De Luca and Todd and hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, also will be televised in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide. Additionally, "The Oscars: All Access" live stream from the red carpet and backstage will begin at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT on Oscar.com.
For more information, please contact:
+1 212 601 2575
+1 212 601 2578
+1 310 461 0114
Notes to Editors
Swarovski at the Oscars
- This year Swarovski celebrates a decade of creating stage décor for the Oscars.
- The partnership has seen over one million crystals incorporated into the award ceremony's set design.
- In the past decade, an additional one million crystals have also been used by costume designers to illuminate costumes for dancers and performers at the awards.
- Over the past ten years Swarovski crystals have helped create some of the Academy Awards' most dazzling moments, from its first crystal curtain in 2007, created in collaboration with J. Michael Riva; to Derek McLane's 2013 crystal backdrop, which lit up Adele's incredible performance of the Oscar-winning song 'Skyfall'; and the crystal drapes he created in 2014 which sparkled as Idina Menzel performed 'Let it Go' from Frozen.
- In 2017, Derek McLane returns for a fifth year as production designer, decorating the Dolby Theatre with over 300,000 Swarovski crystals, the greatest number used for any Oscars award ceremony to date. McLane has been nominated for four Primetime Emmy Awards® for his work on the Oscars telecast, winning in 2014.
Swarovski and Sustainability
- Throughout its history, Swarovski has endeavored to remain true to its founder Daniel Swarovski's vision of a responsible company that has at heart not only its employees' wellbeing but also that of the environment and society as a whole.
- This vision drives the company's dedication to producing beautiful products using responsible methods that respect the wellbeing of people and the planet.
- Atelier Swarovski is a certified member of the Responsible Jewellery Council (RJC), an organization established by the jewelry industry to advance responsible social and environmental practices. As a member, Atelier Swarovski aligns its business operations with the RJC Code of Practices and pledges to positively impact and influence the industry. Atelier Swarovski received RJC certification after being successfully independently audited against the RJC Code of Practice, on materials including diamonds, gold and platinum group metals.
- The Swarovski Crystal Business is a member of the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), and its strategy aligns with the ten principles in the areas of human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption.
- The global Swarovski Waterschool education program has reached 257,000 children on the world's greatest rivers, and the Swarovski Foundation, set up in 2013, works to support culture and creativity, promote wellbeing, and conserve natural resources to achieve positive social impact.
- Atelier Swarovski offers cutting-edge jewelry, accessories and home décor items which are the ultimate expression of Swarovski crystal. Pushing the boundaries of creativity, it collaborates with the finest talents in the world across fashion, jewelry, architecture and design.
- Atelier Swarovski presents seasonal jewelry and accessories collaborations twice a year during New York, London and Paris fashion weeks alongside its constantly evolving Core Collection. Atelier Swarovski Home, launched at Milan Design Week in April 2016, consists of functional and decorative objects for the home.
- Atelier Swarovski was founded by Nadja Swarovski in 2007 as a showcase for creativity, craftsmanship and the art of crystal cutting and crystal innovations. Past collaborators include Jean Paul Gaultier, Viktor&Rolf, Christopher Kane, Maison Margiela and Mary Katrantzou for jewelry, and Zaha Hadid, Daniel Libeskind and Ron Arad for home décor. www.atelierswarovski.com
Swarovski delivers a diverse portfolio of unmatched quality, craftsmanship, and creativity. Founded in 1895 in Austria, the company designs, manufactures and markets high-quality crystals, genuine gemstones and created stones as well as finished products such as jewelry, accessories and lighting. Now run by the fifth generation of family members, Swarovski Crystal Business has a global reach with approximately 2,680 stores in around 170 countries, more than 26,000 employees, and revenue of about 2.6 billion euros in 2015. Together with its sister companies Swarovski Optik (optical devices) and Tyrolit (abrasives), Swarovski Crystal Business forms the Swarovski Group. In 2015, the Group generated revenue of about 3.37 billion euros and employed more than 30,000 people.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/swarovski-celebrates-its-10th-year-illuminating-the-oscars-stage-with-over-300000-crystals-in-most-spectacular-set-design-to-date-300411028.html