Sweet Birthday Celebrations are a Piece of Cake Betty Crocker Invites Moms to Create Summer Memories with Fun and Easy Home-Baked Cakes
MINNEAPOLIS, May 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Summer is the season of carefree fun, bringing out the kid in everyone. That's why Betty Crocker, America's baking expert, is sharing five summery cake recipes that are sure to delight kids of all ages. These vibrant, flavorful, easy-to-make cakes capture the spirit of the season in every bite, helping moms make lasting memories with their families.
Betty Crocker's recipes are a welcome alternative to store-bought cakes, bringing that whimsical, personal touch that can only mean it was made by mom. With a few simple steps, it's easy to transform yellow cake mix into flip-flops, or white cake mix into the sweetest "watermelon" you'll ever eat. Summertime deserves cakes that spark the imagination, and these recipes from Betty Crocker fit the bill:
- Ice Cream Cone Cakes – Treat your family to the delicious fun of an ice cream cone without the melting mess. Kids of all ages will love personalizing these single-serving cakes with sprinkles, crushed candy and even birthday candles at a fun DIY cake bar.
- Flip-Flops Cake – If you're flip-flopping over what to bake for your backyard barbecue, look no further than this festive creation. Food colors, candies and fruit snacks are all you need to transform a sheet cake into footwear that looks (and is) good enough to eat.
- Watermelon Cake – Your family's favorite fruit is about to get even more popular. This melt-in-your-mouth cake offers a surprise in every bite, with chocolate chip "seeds" and a green jelly bean "rind."
- Cookies n Cream Cupcakes – Now it's possible to serve up your favorite ice cream on the go – no spoons required. Perfect for family picnics, these cupcakes get their flair from moist devil's food cake, fluffy marshmallow cream and crunchy sandwich cookies.
- Butterfly Cake – Transforming a traditional birthday cake into a beautiful butterfly is easy with just some candy, rainbow sugar and decorating gel. The party's in the preparation with this hands-on creation – turning time in the kitchen into memories that'll last a lifetime.
"Our recipes will give moms the inspiration and confidence to create eye-catching, mouthwatering cakes for any summer occasion – from birthday parties to everyday celebrations," said Kristen Olson, food editor at Betty Crocker Test Kitchens. "Inspired by the season's sweetest baking trends, these five cakes are a fun, hassle-free way to experience the vibrant flavors and colors of summer."
Taking cues from seasonal fashions and hot culinary techniques, this season's baking trends express the carefree, playful spirit of summertime:
- Fun and Playful – Think ruffles, layers, neon colors, patterns and unexpected shapes – like the dazzling summer dresses on the runway.
- Unexpected Toppings – Potato chips, cereal, candy bits, nuts, coconut, berries and more are making appearances on birthday cakes, offering surprising new textures and flavors.
- A Surprise Inside – Bakers are hiding sweet surprises like candies, colors and fillings inside summertime cakes – giving frosting fanatics reason to celebrate.
- Mini Bites –Small bites are the big thing in summer baking. Mini-desserts like cupcakes are great on-the-go, and offer a flavorful canvas for personalized treats.
Visit bettycrocker.com/Recipes/Courses/Dessert-Recipes/Summer-Birthday-Cakes for easy, summer cake recipes, design templates and tools. For illustrated, step-by-step instructions for the Ice Cream Cone Cakes, see this infographic.
About Betty Crocker
Since her creation in 1921, Betty Crocker has enjoyed a distinguished history as a multimedia superstar. Featured in radio, TV, print, and now online, this cultural icon has rightfully earned her reputation as the "Original First Lady of Food" and a trusted source of inspiring-but-doable food ideas. Minneapolis, Minnesota is the home of the Betty Crocker Kitchens, where a team of culinary experts develop food ideas that combine trends with consumer needs.
Since first published in 1942, more than 75 million Betty Crocker cookbooks have been sold. BettyCrocker.com is one of the top websites in the food category. The website features Ask Betty, a resource that allows consumers to search the kitchen files for instant answers from Betty Crocker Kitchen Experts. Betty Crocker's Facebook community has over 2 million fans that enjoy interacting with the brand, and millions have downloaded Betty Crocker's mobile app. Betty Crocker branded products garner more than $1 billion in sales annually. For more information, visit www.bettycrocker.com.
SOURCE Betty Crocker