HOUSTON, Sept. 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- In today's economic climate, homeowners are constantly looking for ways to cut costs and save as much money as possible. In many areas of the country one option gaining popularity is switching energy providers.
Many states have been restructured, allowing customers a choice in their natural gas and/or electricity. Multiple providers translate into greater choice and potential savings for the consumer. However, as one leading energy provider states, education and research are still vitally important.
"The wonderful thing about energy restructuring is that it offers customers a choice and a chance for real energy savings," says Marjorie Kass, MXenergy managing director of marketing. "However, with that choice also comes a responsibility to educate one's self and ask the necessary questions to make sure you are selecting the right supplier for you."
MXenergy Questions for Consumers
- What is most important to you? Do you want the lowest rate of the moment or long-term price stability? Your answer will help you determine whether a fixed or variable rate is the best choice.
- Is the supplier licensed by the state's public-utility commission? Almost all states have a list of licensed, approved providers. Make sure the company you are considering is on that list.
- What are the terms of the agreement and what happens if you change your mind? The provider agreement should be written in simple, easy-to-understand language. If you need a law degree to decipher it then you probably shouldn't be signing it.
- What type of energy is important to you? Ask where your energy will come from and if the supplier has a green energy program if that is an element that matters to you.
- Review all your options before making a decision – Examine a potential provider's website, time in business and company philosophy, all of which can offer insight into the company's level of service.
"A critical component of the MXenergy philosophy is customer care," says Kass. "We have in place a Customer Bill of Rights which spells out our commitment to delivering the best service possible to our customers each and every day. We strive to not only offer our customers competitive rates but the ultimate in customer care as well."
MXenergy, a Constellation company, is one of the fastest growing retail natural gas and electricity suppliers in North America, serving approximately 500,000 customers in 41 utility territories in the United States and Canada. For over 11 years, the company has provided millions of customers with a choice in how they purchase energy to run their homes and businesses. Founded in 1999 to provide natural gas and electricity to consumers in deregulated energy markets, MXenergy helps residential customers and small business owners control their energy bills by providing both fixed and variable rate plans. MXenergy is committed to best practices in environmental conservation, supporting local communities through various outreach programs and is a member of the Chicago Climate Exchange. For more information about MXenergy please visit www.mxenergy.com.
About Constellation Energy
Constellation Energy is a leading competitive supplier of power, natural gas and energy products and services for homes and businesses across the continental United States. It owns a diversified fleet of generating units, totaling approximately 12,000 megawatts of generating capacity, and is a leading advocate for clean, environmentally sustainable energy sources, such as solar power and nuclear energy. The company delivers electricity and natural gas through the Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BGE), its regulated utility in Central Maryland. A FORTUNE 500 company headquartered in Baltimore, Constellation Energy had revenues of $14.3 billion in 2010.