Sylvan Learning Encourages Parents to Create a Lifestyle of Learning this Summer
Newly launched "Mom Minded" blog to serve as summer learning hub
BALTIMORE, June 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Sylvan Learning is encouraging parents to make the most of summer break by engaging kids in unconventional learning activities. Research proves it takes 66 days to form a habit, so the summer season offers the perfect amount of time for kids to uncover a new mind-bending hobby or learn a new study habit that will help them in school.
Sylvan has partnered with several well-known parenting bloggers and educational experts to develop a collection of summer learning tips, advice and activities sure to engage the entire family. The articles can be found on Sylvan's newly launched blog, Mom Minded, a one-stop shop for moms looking to combat summer learning loss.
"Sylvan Learning is dedicated to providing valuable educational resources that aid parents in their quest to help their children succeed and thrive," said Julia Fitzgerald, Sylvan Learning's Chief Marketing Officer. "With Mom Minded, moms now not only have access to resources from Sylvan, but they have a venue to share experiences and empower each other to fuel learning in the classroom and beyond."
To inspire parents to create a learning-filled summer for their children, Sylvan asked a group of influential parenting bloggers and educational experts to share their summer learning tips:
- Ask your children to select a theme (sports, horses, etc.) and then create summer learning projects around each theme. — Summer Learning Ideas by Amy Lupold Bair
- When traveling, have each of your children pack an "entertainment bag" that includes educational games and books, special snacks and more. — Kid Entertainment Essentials for Family Travel by Holly Homer
- When visiting tourist attractions, discuss questions related to the attraction or build a model of the structure with Popsicle sticks when you get home. — 66 Days of Summer Learning by Mix Hart
- Help your children understand the many ways they are smart by mastering the concept of Multiple Intelligences — it'll help them find their strengths and grow self-confidence. — An Expanded View of "Smart" Ups Kids' Confidence by Melissa Taylor
- Homemade pancakes are a simple breakfast that provides math lessons for all ages by using measuring cups, counting chocolate chips or doubling the recipe. — Pancakes with a Side of Math by Kim Moldofsky
- When you're out on the town, even if it's in your own neighborhood, environmental print — text on signs, posters, billboards, you name it — is a great way to get kids reading in a new and fun way. — 3 Sneaky Ways to Get Your WHOLE Family Reading by Amy Mascott
- Gather books related to your summer vacation destination to share with your child. — Balancing Your Child's Summer Learning by Elle
- Use simple recipes to make summer treats, or ask your child to write a "book" to go along with a piece of his or her artwork. — Summer Learning … Had Me a Blast by Yolanda Machado
In addition to Mom Minded and bloggers' summer learning tips, Sylvan Learning also released a recommended summer reading list for grades K-12 to help parents find books for their child's summer reading fun.
About Sylvan Learning
Sylvan Learning is the leading provider of tutoring to students of all ages, grades and skill levels with more than 30 years of experience and more than 800 centers located throughout North America. Sylvan's trained and Sylvan-certified personal instructors provide individualized instruction in reading, writing, mathematics, study skills and test-prep for college entrance and state exams. Sylvan also hosts Mom Minded, a blog where parenting and education meet. For more information, call 1-800-31-SUCCESS or visit www.SylvanLearning.com.
SOURCE Sylvan Learning
More by this Source
Sylvan Learning Announces Expansion In Boston
Dec 03, 2013, 12:05 ET
Sylvan Learning Announces Expansion In Minneapolis-St. Paul
Sep 18, 2013, 09:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.