BALTIMORE, Jan. 28, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Sylvan Learning has refreshed its SAT prep program in anticipation of The College Board's first major revamp of the test in 11 years.
The new SAT places greater emphasis on critical thinking, problem solving and data analysis. It also provides a new scoring model to help test takers better understand their strengths and weaknesses.
Sylvan Learning has analyzed these changes and altered its prep program so students will have the edge they need to improve their test scores. Each year, over 15,000 students enroll in Sylvan prep program. Sylvan will also be offering a free test prep class at 145 locations across the U.S. during President's Day Weekend.
The revised SAT that goes into effect in March includes the following changes:
- Test time decreases from 3:45 hours with sections on critical reading, writing, mathematics and an essay to 3 hours with sections on evidence-based reading and writing, math and an optional essay.
- Test content will focus on the knowledge, skills and understandings that research has identified as most important for college and career readiness and success.
- Greater emphasis on the meaning of words in extended contexts and how word choice shapes meaning, tone and impact.
- Essay is now optional and given at the end of the test. Students opting for the essay will be allowed 50 additional minutes. The essay goal is to test reading, analysis and writing skills.
- Students will only be scored on correct answers. There will be no penalty for wrong answers.
- Scale will range from 400 to 1600 with 200 to 800 points for evidence-based reading and writing; 200 to 800 for math and 2 to 8 on each of three dimensions for the essay (essay results reported separately).
- A subscore report provides added insights for students, parents, admissions officers, educators, and counselors for each test. 
"With more than 35 years of experience, Sylvan Learning's courses have not only mastered the new exam format but are ready to help high school students navigate this test with ease," said Anathea Simpkins, Sylvan College Prep's director of product management. "The redesigned SAT is more attuned with what students need to know in college and in their careers.
"Our prep courses are designed to inspire and motivate students with a personal approach that will support them during the test and throughout their educational careers," Simpkins said.
SAT and ACT test prep is available in many Sylvan learning centers. In contrast to most programs, Sylvan uses a proven mix of small-group instruction, independent learning, online resources and practice tests. Contact your local center for course availability. http://www.sylvanlearning.com/locations
For more information about the SAT, visit www.sat.collegeboard.org.
SAT is a registered trademark of College Board.
About Sylvan Learning, Inc.
With more than 35 years of experience and more than 600 locations throughout North America, Sylvan Learning is the leading provider of personal learning for students in grades K-12. Sylvan is transforming how students learn, inspiring them to succeed in school and in life. Sylvan's proven tutoring approach blends amazing teachers with SylvanSync™ technology on the iPad® for an engaging learning experience. Sylvan also leads the way with Sylvan EDGE—STEM and accelerated courses and Sylvan Prep —college and test prep courses. Sylvan supports families through every stage of the academic journey. For more information, visit www.SylvanLearning.com or SylvanLearning.com/blog.
Contact: Ryan Oliver, 212-824-0040, email@example.com
SOURCE Sylvan Learning, Inc.