Taking A Bite Out Of The Big Apple: 2013 MLB All-Star Menu Celebrates New York City's Culinary Diversity From pastrami to pizza, offerings will highlight the five boroughs' melting pot culture
FLUSHING, N.Y., June 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- When baseball's best and brightest stars step up to the plate at the 84th Major League Baseball All-Star Game at Citi Field on July 16, ARAMARK - the exclusive food and beverage partner of Citi Field and 10 other Major League Baseball teams - will focus on a different plate altogether, serving up a special menu that reflects the varied culinary offerings of America's most celebrated food city: New York.
In a city known as much for classics such as pizza and hot dogs as much as it is for steakhouses and haute cuisine, Robert Flowers - ARAMARK's Executive Chef at Citi Field, who will oversee the preparation of this year's diverse All-Star Menu - estimates that 37,000 hot dogs, 12,500 burgers, 2,000 pounds of cheese, 900 pounds of filet mignon and 700 pounds of shrimp will be served throughout the events of the midsummer showcase. And that's not even the half of it.
"New York is a veritable melting pot of people, cultures, and most importantly for the team at ARAMARK - tastes," said Flowers. "With the five boroughs in our backyard as inspiration, we're working with our talented chef partners on a menu that brings the best of our city to life for visiting fans from across the country."
To celebrate this special event, the All-Star Meatball Hero, featuring Flowers' own meatball recipe and his family's 300-year-old Italian gravy recipe from Sicily, has been added to the menu. Hand-formed from a blend of LaFrieda Meats' ground beef, pork and veal and simmered in sweet red sauce for three hours, the meatballs are topped with fresh buffalo mozzarella and fried basil and served on a long sesame seed roll.
Flowers is joined by an All-Star line-up of heavy hitters in the New York City culinary scene - including Danny Meyer's Union Square Events, Drew Nieporent's Myriad Restaurant Group, Esca's Dave Pasternack and Pat LaFrieda of Pat LaFrieda Meat Purveyors - all of whom have existing partnerships with ARAMARK and Citi Field as specialty food providers. They'll be assisted by more than 2,500 ARAMARK employees responsible for sourcing, preparing and serving the All-Star Menu from start to finish.
"Taste of the City"
The "Taste of the City", located on field level in the outfield, will offer a cross section of New York flavors on its All-Star Menu, boasting signature items from Union Square Events, such as Shake Shack's Shackburger, a 100% all-natural Angus beef cheeseburger topped with lettuce, tomato and ShackSauce; Blue Smoke on the Road's Beef Brisket Sandwich, chopped hickory-smoked brisket on a brioche bun with spicy Kansas City sauce and slow-cooked Pit Beans with pulled pork; El Verano Taqueria's Chicken Pipian Tacos, grilled chicken breast with green mole & shredded lettuce in fresh corn tortillas; El Verano Cantina's Mango Chile Margarita; and Box Frites' Thick-Cut Idaho Fries with a selection of specialty sauces including the new Pesto dipping sauce.
Fans can also enjoy new-fangled favorites such as Pat LaFrieda's Original Filet Mignon Steak Sandwich and Pasternack's famous Lobster Roll and Grilled Shrimp Po'Boy at Catch of the Day.
"Our team of culinary all-stars is ready to serve fans coming to Citi Field to watch baseball's all-stars," said Marc Bruno, President, ARAMARK Sports and Entertainment. "Citi Field's menu variety and service is consistently rated among the best in the major's and the All-Star Game presents a unique opportunity to showcase these offerings and our world-class hospitality on baseball's grandest stage."
New York Classics
Other Citi Field specialties in general concessions that celebrate the diversity of New York cuisine include:
- Classic New York Deli Pastrami Sandwich: Citi Field's own house-braised pastrami, hand carved and piled high on rye bread with deli mustard. Served with a Kosher dill pickle.
- Nathan's Famous All Beef Hot Dog: Hot dogs are synonymous with baseball and few are better known than Coney Island's own Nathan's, which are available throughout the ballpark.
- The Pastrami Dog: Two New York classics in one bite – Nathan's all beef hot dog topped with house-braised pastrami.
- Brooklyn Burger: With multiple locations throughout the park, Brooklyn Burger serves up classic ballpark burgers.
- Keith Hernandez Gold Glove Burger: Created with former Mets All-Star and current broadcaster Keith Hernandez, it's just how he orders his patty: a 6 oz. Brooklyn Burger on a toasted sesame bun with cheddar cheese, topped with lettuce, tomato, two dill pickles, raw onion, mayo and extra ketchup on top and mustard spread on the bottom bun.
"In tandem with ARAMARK, we set out at Citi Field to redefine the dining experience in sports and entertainment venues," said Mike Landeen, Senior Vice President, Venue Services and Operations, New York Mets. "We're very much looking forward to hosting the All-Star Game as an international showcase for the quality and variety of culinary options at our ballpark."
For more tastes of New York, fans can take a Big Apple bite out of offerings from more than 100 permanent concession locations, as well as 45 additional locations added for All-Star weekend. Among them:
- Two Boots Pizza's Grandma Joan Slice: Organic San Marzano plum tomatoes, mozzarella, garlic, olive oil and parmigiana.
- Mama's of Corona: This 80-year Queens institution serves up a variety of old-neighborhood specials, including the Mama's Special—a classic Italian hero with all the fixings', as well as Cannolis, Italian Cheese and Meat Platters, and Mozzarella and Tomato Salads.
- Daruma of Tokyo: A taste of the Far East at Citi Field, offering Shumai, Edamame and a range of fresh Sushi and Sashimi.
- "Little Astoria" Gyro: A new addition to World's Fare Market, these hand-sliced, broiled lamb and beef gyros are topped with onion, tomato and Greek yogurt sauce. Served on a fresh pita.
For suite ticketholders, Chef Flowers has created two special menus for All-Star weekend that feature comfort classics and New York favorites alike:
- All-Star Package: Grilled Baby Lamb Chops, a Dim Sum Assortment, Local Sourced Sushi and Sashimi, Grilled NY Strip Steaks and a NY Dessert Bar complete with Cheesecake Lollipops, Chocolate Covered Strawberries and Cannolis.
- Home Run Package: Elevated comfort food including Fresh Popped Popcorn, Nathan's "The Original" Beef Frankfurter, Baked Lobster Macaroni and Cheese, a Loaded Fry Station, Salted Caramel Brownies and more.
Guests can also elect an a la carte option, mixing and matching foods on offer throughout Citi Field to create their own in-suite experience.
Clubs & Restaurants
For the All-Star Game, Citi Field's clubs and restaurants will provide guests with a unique dining experience.
- Pat LaFrieda's Chop House at Delta Sky360 Club is a full-service restaurant from star butcher Pat LaFrieda, featuring a custom-blend Citi Field Amazin' Burger, a Classic Iceberg Wedge with Blue Cheese Dressing, Grandpa's Sweet Italian Sausage Sandwich, and a 16 oz. Dry-Aged Bone In NY Strip Steak.
- Delta Sky360 Lounge & Club features Tribeca Grill's Batter Up Chicken with Warm Pizelle Cookies and Whipped Maple Butter as well as favorites from throughout the park, like Two Boots Pizza and Nathan's Famous All Beef Hot Dogs.
- Promenade Club offers casual fare including the Bases Loaded Tater Tots and Classic Buffalo, Teriyaki and Sweet Chili Promenade Club Wings.
- Caesars Club boasts a view of New York City, along with concessions from Two Boots Pizza and Brooklyn Burger and a full bar.
- Acela Club is being used by the press during All-Star activities. Its distinctive and delicious menu from Myriad Restaurant Group will return for diners when the Mets host the Phillies on Friday, July 19th.
This is the third MLB All-Star Game in the last four years that ARAMARK has served as the food and beverage partner. Additional information about the 2013 All-Star Game menu is available at www.ballparkfoods.com.
Citi Field's retail outlets, also managed by ARAMARK, feature a comprehensive selection of All-Star merchandise, including a variety of stadium-exclusive items designed specifically for the 84th All-Star Game. Apparel and other souvenir items will be featured throughout the ballpark at Mets Team Store, Nike Dugout Shop, Majestic Store, Touch by Alyssa Milano, '47 Shop, and The Players Clubhouse: A Player's Choice Store. Citi Field will also feature onsite jersey and hat customization and bat engraving during All-Star weekend.
ARAMARK's longtime partnership with the Mets dates back to Shea Stadium and, in 2009, they announced an agreement to provide food, beverage and retail merchandise services for Citi Field. ARAMARK partners with 13 Major League Baseball teams to provide food and beverage, retail and/or facilities services -- Atlanta Braves, Boston Red Sox, Colorado Rockies, Houston Astros, Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, New York Mets, Oakland Athletics, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners and Toronto Blue Jays.
About ARAMARK Sports and Entertainment
ARAMARK Sports and Entertainment creates remarkable experiences for guests at over 150 premier sports facilities, convention centers and entertainment venues throughout North America. With industry-leading insight, ARAMARK designs innovative hospitality, dining and catering, retail merchandise, and facility service programs that deliver valuable business results. Learn more at www.aramarkentertainment.com, or follow us at @aramarksports.
ARAMARK delivers experiences that enrich and nourish people's lives through innovative food, facility, and uniform services. United by a passion to serve, our more than 250,000 employees make a meaningful difference each day for millions of people around the world. ARAMARK is recognized among the Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE and World's Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us at www.facebook.com/aramark and @aramark on Twitter.