Tarkett joins the "Circular Economy 100" program of the Ellen MacArthur Foundation
CHAGRIN FALLS, Ohio, Feb. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Tarkett, worldwide leader in innovative flooring and sports surface solutions, is one of the first companies to join the "Circular Economy 100" program launched on February 8th, 2013, by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation. This program aims at creating a network of one hundred companies whose ambition is to promote the development of the circular economy, a model for economic growth based on circular re-use of materials and preservation of the world's resources.
"As part of its sustainability strategy, Tarkett has already been engaged with eco-innovation for several years. Our objective is to develop products that could be re-used at the end of their usage life, in our own production cycle, or by other industries. We also benefit from our pioneering experience in recycling, which started in 1957. Our involvement in this program will allow us to exchange best practices and continue our development towards a sustainable and responsible economic model," explained Michel Giannuzzi, Chief Executive Officer of the Tarkett Group.
In 2011, Tarkett adopted the cradle-to-cradle approach, which promotes, in particular, eco-design with materials that better protect health and the environment. Thanks to tremendous work done on product formulation and manufacturing process improvement, Tarkett has already achieved significant results at each step of the product life:
- Two product ranges sold in the U.S. – linoleum and rubber - have been awarded with cradle-to-cradle® certifications1. The most recent to earn the certification being the Johnsonite rubber products.
- Most vinyl products are made from a significant proportion of recycled materials and are all 100% recyclable.
- Many commercial homogeneous and Luxury Vinyle Tiles products are NSF-332 certified (Gold and Platinum levels) and Tarkett's linoleum recently received Platinum NSF-332.
- Water consumption2 was reduced by 24% between 2010 and 2012, thanks in particular to closed-loop water circuits set up in half of the production sites.
- Energy consumption2 was reduced by 5% between 2010 and 2012 thanks to industrial improvements, including the implementation at some plants of energy production systems using biomass. For example, three quarters of our wood plants use sawdust to produce their electricity.
- The volume of waste2 sent to landfill was reduced by almost 20% between 2010 and 2012.
- Most Tarkett U.S. commercial products are FloorScore certified. And most Tarkett products have Total Volatile Organic Compounds emission levels less than or equal to 100 micrograms/m3 and several products are twenty times lower than the lowest levels published by American IAQ standards (less than or equal to 10 micrograms/m3), thereby helping to improve indoor air quality.
- Collection and recycling circuits of post-installation and post-consumer products have been set up in France and Sweden (ReUse programme), and in the United States (ReStart and Infinity Initiatives).
1 – In 2011, C2C® Silver Certification for Lenza, Tonali, Veneto, Veneto Acoustiflor, Etrusco, Toscano and Allegro Harmonium xf™ linoleum product ranges. In 2012, C2C® "Basic" level Certification for the rubber coverings manufactured under the Johnsonite brand in the United States. Additionally, wood products manufactured and sold in Europe received C2C® Silver in 2011.
2 – Indicators measured per m2 of manufactured products (litres/m², KWh/m², g/m²).
3 – TVOC measurements done under ASTM 05116.
With a turnover of 2.3 billion Euros in 2012, Tarkett is the world leader for innovative and sustainable solutions for flooring and sports surfaces. Some 10,700 employees and 38 production units serve Tarkett customers in more than 100 countries. Since January 2007, Tarkett has been jointly owned by the Deconinck family (50 percent) and private equity funds affiliated with KKR (50 percent).
For more information, visit www.tarkett.com
More by this Source
Tarkett Introduces Online Chat Program
Dec 03, 2013, 14:45 ET
Tarkett to Present ReStart® Award at Greenbuild 2013
Nov 12, 2013, 15:27 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.