TEDMED 2012 Conference Announces Final Speaker Line Up Featuring Otis Brawley/American Cancer Society; Larry Brilliant/Skoll Global Threats Fund; Dr. Lynda Chin/MD Anderson Cancer Center; Francis Collins/NIH; Katie Couric/Stand Up To Cancer & ABC News; Thomas Frieden/CDC; John Hoffman/HBO Documentary Films; Peggy Hamburg/FDA; Billie Jean King/Health and Social Justice Advocate; Gail McGovern/American Red Cross; Gabby Reece/Women's Health Advocate; and Renowned Biologist E.O. Wilson
60+ Speakers and 1,300 Attendees to Explore the Future of Medicine, Healthcare and Technology in Washington, D.C., April 10-13
WASHINGTON, March 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- TEDMED, www.TEDMED.com, the annual multi-disciplinary gathering where leaders of all sectors of society come together to explore the promise of technology and potential of human achievement in health and medicine announced its final speaker roster. The TEDMED 2012 conference speaker roster includes more than 60 preeminent leaders in health, medicine, science, technology, business, government, academia, media and the arts.
TEDMED is the world's only TED-licensed event focused solely on innovation and breakthrough thinking across all of health and medicine.
Topics to be explored by TEDMED speakers will include neuroscience, microbiology, surgery, oncology, stem cell therapy, bad science, Alzheimer's, robotics, public health, game science, obesity, wearable tech, disease evolution, patient choice, virtual anatomy models, neuroengineering, the nature of imagination, and dozens more.
An expected 1,300 on-site participants will gather in Washington, D.C. at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts to foster cross-disciplinary collaboration and learning. The conference will also be simulcast to teaching hospitals, medical schools, research institutions, university life science departments, state and federal government agencies, health-oriented corporations and non-profits across the nation to more than 50,000 forecasted participants.
Institutions of excellence represented by speakers and attendees will include The American Cancer Society, The American Red Cross, BioDigital Systems, The Boulis Laboratory at Emory ALS Center, Weill Cornell Medical School, Brigham and Women's Hospital, The California Institute of Technology, Center for Complex Network Research, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Duke University, Equal Justice Initiative; Harvard University and Harvard School of Public Health, HBO Documentary Films, Health Leads, mc10, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Methodist Institute for Technology, Innovation, and Education, The Michor Laboratory at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, The National Institutes of Health, New York University School of Medicine, Penn State University, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Skoll Global Threats Fund, Texas Heart Institute, USC Center for Body Computing, Quest Diagnostics, The Texas Heart Institute, The Center for Alzheimer Research and Treatment, SeventyK, Reuters Health, Children's Hospital Boston, The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, VGo and the Young Professionals Chronic Disease Network.
TEDMED Speaker List (as of 3/26/2012)
- Sekou Andrews, spoken word artist, playwright, actor, poet
- Ali Ansary, Co-Founder, SeventyK
- Frances Arnold, Dick and Barbara Dickinson Professor of Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering and Biochemistry, California Institute of Technology
- Albert-Laszlo Barabasi, Director of the Center for Complex Network Research, Northeastern University
- Larry Brilliant, President and CEO, Skoll Global Threats Fund
- Barbara Bass, Director, Methodist Institute for Technology, Innovation, and Education
- Nick Boulis, Founder of the Boulis Laboratory at the Emory ALS Center
- Otis Brawley, Chief Medical Officer of the American Cancer Society
- Virginia Breen, author, with Elizabeth Bonker, poet and aspiring doctor
- Atul Butte, Chief of the Division of Systems Medicine and Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Medicine, and Computer Science, at Stanford University
- Lynda Chin, Chair, Department of Genomic Medicine & Scientific Director, Institute of Applied Cancer Science, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Jon Cohen, Senior Vice President, Chief Medical Officer and Director of Hospital Services, Quest Diagnostics
- William Cohn, Director, Minimally Invasive Surgical Technology, Texas Heart Institute
- Steve Connell, spoken word artist, playwright, actor, poet
- Francis Collins, Director of the National Institutes of Health
- Seth Cooper, Creative Director, Center for Game Science, University of Washington
- Cookie Monster, Sesame Street
- Katie Couric, Stand Up To Cancer; ABC News
- Mary Cummings, Director of the MIT Humans and Automation Laboratory
- Jonathan Eisen, Professor at the DOE Genome Center, University of California, Davis
- Thomas Frieden, Director, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Bud Frazier, Chief of Cardiac Support, Texas Heart Institute
- Ed Gavagan, Co-founder, Design Starts Here
- Jonathan Glass, Director of the Emory ALS Center, Department of Neurology, Emory University
- Ben Goldacre, best-selling author, broadcaster
- Robert Gupta, Artistic Director, Street Symphony
- Peggy Hamburg, Commissioner, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Laird Hamilton, Professional Big-Wave Surfer
- Fred Hersch, jazz pianist/composer
- John Hoffman, Vice President, HBO Documentary Films
- Mark Hyman, author & Chairman of the Institute for Functional Medicine
- David Icke, Chief Executive Officer of mc10
- Scott Jurek, Author, Ultramarathon Champion
- Diane Kelly, Senior Research Fellow at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Billie Jean King, Champion for Social Equality & Former Tennis Professional
- Sandeep Kishore, M.D. Ph.D., Harvard Medical School fellow, Co-chair, Young Professionals Chronic Disease Network
- Jonathan Mann, singer, songwriter
- Gail McGovern, President and Chief Executive Officer of the American Red Cross
- Franziska Michor, Associate Professor of Computational Biology, Department of Biostatistics and Computational Biology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- MOMIX, Dancers-Illusionists
- Teresa Monachino, author and founder of Studio Monachino
- Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, President and CEO, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Hiep Nguyen, Director, the Robotic Surgery, Research, and Training Center and the Pediatric TeleUrology Service at Children's Hospital Boston
- Miguel Nicolelis, founder of Duke's Center for Neuroengineering
- Lisa Nilsson, Visual Artist
- Rebecca Onie, Co-Founder & CEO, Health Leads
- Ivan Oransky, Executive Editor of Reuters Health
- Todd Park, United Stated Chief Technology Officer
- Dan Perry, President, Alliance for Aging Research
- Gregory Petsko, Professor of Neurology, Weill Cornell Medical School
- Stephen Petronio, Founder, Stephen Petronio Company
- Andrew Read, Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics, Penn State University
- Gabby Reece, Professional Volleyball Player & Women's Health Advocate
- John Qualter, Cofounder, Director of Media, BioDigital Systems, Research Assistant Professor, Educational Informatics, New York School of Medicine
- Joel Salatin, Polyface Farms
- Judith Salerno, Leonard D. Schaeffer Executive Officer of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies
- Leslie Saxon, Executive Director & Founder, USC Center for Body Computing
- Jacob Scott, radiation oncologist and cancer theoretician, Moffit Cancer Center
- Howard Shapiro, Global Director of Plant Science and External Research , Mars Incorporated
- Jill Sobule, singer, songwriter
- Reisa Sperling, Director, the Center for Alzheimer Research and Treatment, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Step Afrika!, percussive dance group
- Traces, urban acrobats
- Marc Triola, Associate Dean for Educational Informatics at New York University School of Medicine
- Basil Twist, Artistic Director, Tandem Otter Productions
- VGO Robotic Telepresence System
- Washington Performing Arts Society's Children of the Gospel Choir
- E.O. Wilson, Honorary Curator in Entomology and University Research Professor Emeritus, Harvard University.
The TEDMED conference and mission are generously supported by major U.S. sponsors, including some of the world's best-known companies and thought leaders in the realm of health and medicine: Booz/Allen/Hamilton, The California Endowment, The Cleveland Clinic, GE, Johnson & Johnson, Philips, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Mars Inc., Siemens and Xerox.
TEDMED Contributing Sponsors
IOMEDIA, Panasonic, Steelcase and Nurture.
TEDMEDLive Simulcast Sponsors
TEDMEDLive is sponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), Siemens, and The California Endowment.
For more information: http://www.tedmed.com/conference/live
TEDMED Patron Fund Contributors
Humana, The California Endowment. For more information: http://www.tedmed.com/conference/patron
TEDMED Talks and Updates
TEDMED.com makes all of its stage presentations available as videos at www.TEDMED.com at no cost after the conclusion of the conference. Videos are also posted on TED.com, YouTube and CNN.com for free online viewing.
TEDMED issues monthly email bulletins. To subscribe, please send an email to: email@example.com.
Follow TEDMED at Twitter via @TEDMED.
An RSS feed of TEDMED news and video releases is available via the TEDMED Blog, blog.tedmed.com.
TEDMED, LLC is an independent organization operated under a special license from the nonprofit TED conference. TEDMED is the only authorized, independent TED conference focusing on the fields of health and medicine. For more information, please visit www.TEDMED.com.
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.