TeleCommunication Systems and Cellfind Announce Partnership to Offer Location-Based Services Solution in Africa
ANNAPOLIS, Md. and JOHANNESBURG, Feb. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: TSYS), a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology, and Johannesburg, South Africa-based Cellfind (Pty) Ltd, South Africa's leading location-based mobile services provider, today announced a partnership agreement. Cellfind's application offerings will now include the world-class location-based services (LBS) solution provided by TeleCommunication Systems. Mobile operators can quickly enable location services and generate revenue almost immediately by using TCS' hosted platform integrated with Cellfind's LBS applications. This is the first agreement between the two companies and the first for TeleCommunication Systems in Africa.
This new partnership is a strategic fit for both companies and leverages TeleCommunication Systems' strength in developing and implementing LBS technology and Cellfind's strength in identifying mobile technologies and bringing them to the African market. Wireless operators will benefit from a comprehensive, hosted, end-to-end LBS solution that is cost-effective and can grow with their business. Consumers will benefit from the expansion of services used for a wide array of applications such as emergency location, tracking of goods in transit, localized point of interest and more.
- This partnership creates a hosted, end-to-end LBS solution that covers all of the areas a wireless operator needs to start or enhance a LBS business.
- TCS' hosted platform is fully tested and integrated with Cellfind's LBS applications; thus, the hosted LBS solution provides one-time integration for both platform and applications.
- The hosted LBS solution provides flexibility and rapid scalability – it supports a variety of location methods and technologies, allowing on-demand capacity to increase as the business grows.
- The partnership supports wireless operators through consulting and system integration services, enabling them to deploy LBS offerings in the most suitable and cost-effective way within their network.
- TeleCommunication Systems is the #1 provider of end-to-end LBS solutions in the world.
- Senior Vice President of TCS' Commercial Software Group, Jay Whitehurst, said: "Cellfind is a leader in wireless technology in the African market, and we look forward to bringing wireless carriers a superior LBS offering. This partnership represents a mutually beneficial relationship based upon common strategic goals to capitalize on the expanding commercialization of LBS in both the African and international markets."
- Managing Director of Cellfind, Jacques Swanepoel said: "TeleCommunication Systems has a strong, established reputation for leading LBS technology, and we look forward to offering this technology to our wireless carrier customers. By providing wireless carriers with a solution that is flexible, scalable and hosted, they will have the perfect combination of being able to provide superior LBS technology that fits their network in an extremely cost-effective manner."
TeleCommunication Systems is a world-class specialist in high-reliability location-based services. The company provides complete, end-to-end LBS solutions that include branded and private-label applications, infrastructure, mapping, and content for leading consumer brands, content providers, voice service providers and more than 60 commercial customers worldwide. Pioneers of the world's first wireless location platform, the first U.S. wireless E9-1-1 deployment and innovator of E9-1-1 solutions for cable and VoIP providers, TeleCommunication Systems has become the industry's leading provider of LBS infrastructure. Using innovative mobile cloud computing services, TeleCommunication Systems offers top revenue-producing applications for navigation, hyper-local search, workforce tracking and family locators. For more information on TeleCommunication Systems LBS services, go to www.telecomsys.com/LBS.
Cellfind (Pty) Ltd. was formed in September 2003 and successfully launched the first GSM passive location-based service in Africa in the southern hemisphere. Since launch, the company has enjoyed considerable commercial success through a variety of self manage products and partners for whom it provides mobile enablement. Cellfind is the market leader in location-based services in South Africa, offering a wide range of active and passive products such as Vodacom's Look4Me, Look4Help, MTN Where RU and MTN 2 My Aid. Cellfind is also a founding member of WASPA (Wireless Application Service Provider Association); the industry representative body for WASP's and is an accredited service provider for Vodacom, MTN, Cell C and 8ta.
Cellfind is a subsidiary of the Blue Label Telecoms Group, which listed on the JSE in November 2007. Blue Label Telecoms is invested in transaction switching, virtual banking, prepaid insurance and prepaid television. The Group's prepaid products and service offerings include prepaid airtime, prepaid electricity, bill payment, electronic funds transfer, gift vouchers, loyalty programmes, store value cards, location-based services and other prepaid tokens of value (both physical and virtual) that are allied to the Telecoms, Utilities, Insurance, Financial Services and Transport industries.
About TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS) is a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology. TCS infrastructure forms the foundation for market leading solutions in E9-1-1, text messaging, commercial location and deployable wireless communications. TCS is at the forefront of new mobile cloud computing services providing wireless applications for navigation, hyper-local search, asset tracking, social applications and telematics. Millions of consumers around the world use TCS wireless apps as a fundamental part of their daily lives. Government agencies utilize TCS' cyber security expertise, professional services, and highly secure deployable satellite solutions for mission-critical communications. Headquartered in Annapolis, MD, TCS maintains technical, service and sales offices around the world. To learn more about emerging and innovative wireless technologies, visit www.telecomsys.com.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements as defined within Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These statements are subject to risks and uncertainties and are based upon TeleCommunication Systems' current expectations and assumptions that if incorrect would cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated. Risks include those detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011 and on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2012.
Existing and prospective investors are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise the information in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or circumstances, or otherwise.
SOURCE TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.