TeleCommunication Systems Announces Next-Generation Proteus® 2 and Galatea® 2 Solid-State Drives
Latest Drives Feature Improved Performance and Capacity
ANNAPOLIS, Md., Aug. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS), a leading provider of highly rugged and reliable solid-state drive (SSD) technology, today announced the availability of its Proteus® 2 and Galatea® 2 SSDs. Both models feature improved performance and capacity to meet the growing need for accessing and storing richer data, such as video and photographic images. They are ideal for the harsh environments in which many defense and security applications operate.
- The throughput of both Proteus 2 and Galatea 2 has increased to 500 MB/s, allowing these SSDs to store and retrieve data at double the rate of the previous models.
- The maximum capacity for both models has doubled to 512 GB when using Single-Level Cell (SLC) memory, and up to 1 TB for Multi-Level Cell (MLC) memory, providing four times the storage of Proteus Plus and improving the ability to store large data sets. This increase in capacity also improves size, weight and power by packing the storage in half the space and allows for longer missions.
- Both Proteus 2 and Galatea 2 are built with a custom TCS controller and firmware, enabling them to be re-programmed and mass-customized to meet a customer's specific requirements. They are also adaptable for future flash generations.
- Galatea 2 offers the highest level of Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), commercial-grade encoding for enhanced security and power hold-up circuitry with tantalum capacitors for data robustness during a power loss. It is compliant with Trusted Computing Group (TCG) Opal – the industry standard for key and access control policy management for self-encrypting drives.
- Proteus 2 and Galatea 2 are among the most ruggedized SSDs on the market and are built with the same milled aluminum case and other technologies as Proteus Plus. They are backed by quality processes and qualification data, are manufactured in America at TCS' AS9100-certified facility, and are rigorously tested and independently verified to MIL-STD-810 requirements.
- Industry analyst firm Objective Analysis forecasts that shipments of embedded SSDs will increase five-fold between 2012 and 2016.
- TCS representatives will discuss Proteus 2, Galatea 2 and other TCS Space & Component Technology components and services at the AIAA/USU Conference on Small Satellites in Logan, UT on August 10-15.
TCS Space & Component Technology Division Vice President Bill Bettencourt said: "Both TCS' Proteus and Galatea SSDs are well-known for their reliability and durability. Now, with the next-generation Proteus 2 and Galatea 2, we have made a good thing even better by increasing their performance and capacity, while designing away any threat of obsolescence – all at a competitive price."
TCS serves the space community with high-reliability components and services essential to long-life spacecraft. TCS has performed total parts management for nearly every major space agency worldwide and has supplied components, parts and materials for more than 150 spacecraft manufactured in Europe, Asia and the Americas. TCS specializes in ultra-rugged solid-state drives for the most demanding environments, offering both customized and industry-standard configurations for military, aerospace and industrial applications. To see a brief video and to learn more visit: http://www.telecomsys.com/products/Space-and-Component-Technology/default.aspx?autoplay=true.
Glossary of Terms:
AES: Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) – Defined by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), it is the accepted standard for encryption in the industry and is widely adopted by the U.S. government, as well as international organizations.
MLC: Multi-level cell – refers to storing 2 or more bits per memory cell.
SLC: Single-level cell – refers to storing a single bit per memory cell.
TCG Opal: The Trusted Computing Group (TCG) Opal Storage Subsystem Class (SSC) specification defines key management and access control features for Self-Encryption Drive (SEDs).
About TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS) is a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology. TCS infrastructure forms the foundation for market leading solutions in E9-1-1, text messaging, commercial location and deployable wireless communications. TCS is at the forefront of new mobile cloud computing services providing wireless applications for navigation, hyper-local search, asset tracking, social applications and telematics. Millions of consumers around the world use TCS wireless apps as a fundamental part of their daily lives. Government agencies utilize TCS' cyber security expertise, professional services, and highly secure deployable satellite solutions for mission-critical communications. Headquartered in Annapolis, MD, TCS maintains technical, service and sales offices around the world. To learn more about emerging and innovative wireless technologies, visit www.telecomsys.com.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements as defined within Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These statements are subject to risks and uncertainties and are based upon TCS' current expectations and assumptions that if incorrect would cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated. Risks include those detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2012, and on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2013.
Existing and prospective investors are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise the information in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or circumstances, or otherwise.
SOURCE TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.
More by this Source
TeleCommunication Systems to Present at JMP Securities Technology Conference on March 4
Feb 19, 2014, 08:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.