TeleCommunication Systems Introduces TCS Smart911, First Nationwide, Rich Information Solution for Text to 9-1-1
Smart911(TM) Provides 9-1-1 Operators and First Responders with Rapid Access to Critical Information
ANNAPOLIS, Md., Jan. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS), a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology, today announced TCS Smart911, the public safety industry's first nationwide solution providing enhanced information during emergency communications that use text messaging (Short Message Service [SMS] 9-1-1).
TCS Smart911 provides 9-1-1 operators with access to a rich profile of information, including medical information, disabilities, photos, address details, and other important response data provided and maintained by citizens. The additional data greatly speeds the process of effectively assessing the situation and dispatching the correct resources during a text-to-911 session when traditional audio cues are not available. Instant access to this information stored in a highly-secure online database allows first responders to be better prepared to immediately offer life-saving assistance.
- The FCC has proposed to require that all wireless carriers and providers of certain internet-based ("over the top") text messaging applications shall implement technology to allow customers to send text messages to 9-1-1 in areas where public safety answering points (PSAPs) are prepared to receive the texts.
- The TCS Smart911 service is integrated into TCS' cloud-based text gateway and connects both to legacy PSAPs and evolving Next Generation 9-1-1 (NG9-1-1) public safety solutions. This enables PSAPs to view critical citizen emergency information with receipt of the text message in both legacy and NG9-1-1 environments.
- TCS provides its Geospatial Emergency Manager (GEM9-1-1™) portal with TCS Smart911 data about text senders free to all PSAPs as a public service. PSAPs can act immediately upon the data included in senders' Smart911 profiles by dispatching law enforcement, firefighters, or medical personnel to the scene with relevant information already in hand.
- PSAPs can purchase an enhanced version of TCS Smart911 to use in conjunction with all voice emergency calls to 9-1-1 in addition to text to 9-1-1. The enhanced version of TCS Smart911 is easily deployed and works with all call-taking system and computer aided dispatch (CAD) combinations.
- Creating a Smart911 profile, which is accessible by any participating PSAP nationwide, is free for all citizens.
Use Case Examples:
- Deaf or hard-of-hearing caller: For the approximately 48 million Americans with hearing impairment and anyone else who has trouble communicating with a 9-1-1 dispatcher verbally over the phone, TCS Smart911 offers an innovative way to preload data and speed the information exchange in situations where SMS is the most appropriate emergency communications method.
- Missing children: With TCS Smart911, the 9-1-1 dispatcher can view a high-quality photo of the missing child and forward it immediately to field officers.
- Confused or disabled caller: The 9-1-1 dispatcher can view the medical profile of a confused or disabled caller. For example, if an asthma sufferer cannot speak, the 9-1-1 center still can dispatch help effectively.
Thomas Ginter , vice president, Safety & Security Group, TCS, said:
"Text to 9-1-1, as part of the larger ongoing evolution to NG9-1-1, solves many of the challenges public safety officials currently face, especially when combined with the TCS Smart911 solution. TCS Smart911 provides public safety agencies with the information they need to better assist citizens in emergency situations, while providing citizens with peace of mind, knowing that first responders have the data necessary to help them effectively and rapidly in life-threatening situations."
TCS is delivering TCS Smart911 in collaboration with Rave Mobile Safety, a leading provider of software for campus and public safety. Smart911 is a trademark of Rave Mobile Safety and is used under license.
- TCS Smart911
- TCS GEM9-1-1 Solution
- Press Release: TeleCommunication Systems Announces Support for FCC, Carriers' Commitment to Implement Text to 9-1-1 Technology Nationwide
- Press Release: TeleCommunication Systems Launches First National End-to-End Suite of Next Generation 9-1-1 Emergency Communication Solutions
About TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS) is a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology. TCS infrastructure forms the foundation for market leading solutions in E9-1-1, text messaging, commercial location and deployable wireless communications. TCS is at the forefront of new mobile cloud computing services providing wireless applications for navigation, hyper-local search, asset tracking, social applications and telematics. Millions of consumers around the world use TCS wireless apps as a fundamental part of their daily lives. Government agencies utilize TCS' cyber security expertise, professional services, and highly secure deployable satellite solutions for mission-critical communications. Headquartered in Annapolis, MD, TCS maintains technical, service and sales offices around the world. To learn more about emerging and innovative wireless technologies, visit www.telecomsys.com.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements as defined within Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These statements are subject to risks and uncertainties and are based upon TCS' current expectations and assumptions that if incorrect would cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated. Risks include those detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011, and on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2012.
Existing and prospective investors are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise the information in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or circumstances, or otherwise.
SOURCE TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.
More by this Source
TeleCommunication Systems Introduces Secure Enterprise Messaging Center
May 21, 2013, 07:30 ET
TeleCommunication Systems VoLTE9-1-1 Service First in Production with LTE Carriers
May 21, 2013, 07:30 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.