Telkom Indonesia and Alcatel-Lucent team to support national broadband growth Alcatel-Lucent to build optical transport network in Indonesia to address the explosion of bandwidth hungry devices and applications driving increasing demand for network capacity
DOHA, Qatar and PARIS, July 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Telkom Indonesia and Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext and NYSE: ALU) have today announced an agreement for Alcatel-Lucent to build a next-generation agile optical network in the Kalimantan and Sulawesi areas, as well as the greater Jakarta region, which generates around 50% of Telkom Indonesia's data traffic.
The fiber-optic network, based on converged wavelength division multiplexing/optical transport (WDM/OTN) technology will enable Telkom Indonesia to provide 100 gigabits-per-second (100G) capability. This will cost-efficiently and effectively meet customer demands for increasingly sophisticated and high-bandwidth mobile services, including video, multimedia and other data-intensive applications.
- Telkom Indonesia currently provides high-speed broadband to more than 19 million customers and 125 million cellular customers.
- The 100G network will cover 50 percent of high-speed broadband traffic in Telkom Indonesia's service area.
- Alcatel-Lucent is employing its 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS) converged WDM/OTN platform to address the booming demand for high-bandwidth data services such as high-definition video streaming, next-generation mobile broadband applications and cloud services.
- The intelligent generalized multiprotocol label switching (GMPLS) Control Plane ensures automated network operation and highest service protection.
- 100G fiber-optic technology takes advantage of unique silicon innovations from Alcatel-Lucent's Bell Labs and supports a capacity of up to 8.8 Terabit per second - the equivalent of 1.32 million HDTV channels streamed at the same time - over a single optical fiber.
- Alcatel-Lucent Agile Optical Networking (AON) enables more cost-effective and efficient 100G networking with increased intelligence. It leverages the high-performance and economics of the Alcatel-Lucent Photonic Service Engine (PSE)-based 100G with high-capacity OTN, packet and photonic switching along with the automation of embedded network intelligence on the purpose-built 1830 PSS WDM platform.
Arief Yahya, The President Director of Telkom Indonesia, said: "The growing appetite for bandwidth hungry devices and applications is driving tremendous demand throughout our networks. We expect through Alcatel-Lucent's Agile Optical Networking (AON) 100G optical transport solution, Telkom could provide high-capacity with the flexibility and efficiency to serve our customers today and in the future."
Bobby Rasyidin, Alcatel-Lucent's Senior Executive in Indonesia, said: "With geography spanning more than 17,000 islands, Telkom Indonesia was looking for a technology provider to build a network foundation that can serve a wide territory cost-efficiently and effectively. The work Alcatel-Lucent is doing will help create a common platform for network capacity and efficiency that covers 200 million residents of Indonesia."
- Agile Optical Networking
- The Alcatel-Lucent single-carrier 100G coherent solution (website)
- The Alcatel-Lucent single-carrier 100G coherent solution (video)
- 400G Photonic Service Engine (website)
- Paving the way the world's first commercial 400G coherent solution (video)
- Alcatel-Lucent 1830 PSS photo
About TELKOM INDONESIA
PT Telkom Indonesia Tbk. (Telkom) is the largest network and telecommunication service provider in Indonesia. Telkom's rich and vast network and telecommunication service include domestic and international telecommunication basic services; consisting of wireline, Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) fixed wireless, Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM) and inter-operator inter-connection service, both direct and through the corporate's subsidiaries. In addition to telecommunication services, Telkom also runs Multimedia business such as contents and applications, which complement the corporate's business portfolio TIMES – Telecommunication, Information, Media, Edutainment and Services. Telkom' shares are listed in the Indonesia Stock Exchange/Bursa Efek Indonesia (BEI: TLKM), London Stock Exchange (LSE: TKIA), unlisted public offering in Japan ("POWL").
About Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning Alcatel-Lucent in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of Alcatel-Lucent and one of the world's foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent innovations have resulted in the company being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012's Top 50 "World's Most Innovative Companies". Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being ranked Technology Supersector Leader by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index in 2012 for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the company's mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.