Tennent Caledonian Rolls Out 100 per cent Scottish Barley Promise to Full Range
GLASGOW, Scotland, March 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Tennent Caledonian has today (11th March) announced a commitment to using only Scottish barley in the production of its core portfolio of beer brands from 2013 onwards.
Phased in since the start of the year, this pledge is a dynamic shift for Scotland's leading brewer and will see the business purchase approximately 25,000 metric tons of barley from Scottish farmers this year alone.
It follows the resounding success of Caledonia Best, the brewer's first beer to be brewed exclusively with Scottish barley which was launched in late 2011 and is now the fastest growing beer brand in the Scottish on-trade, stocked in 1 in 6 free trade outlets.
Tennent Caledonian's malting barley requirements have traditionally come from both within and outwith Scotland, so the switch to 100 per cent Scottish sourcing and the development of longer term contracts for Scottish farmers will be a boost to the nation's agricultural economy.
It demonstrates the brewer's ongoing commitment to local suppliers, high quality Scottish ingredients and also to the distinctive character and integrity of the beers brewed at the company's Wellpark home in Glasgow - including Tennent's Lager, Tennent's Original Export and Caledonia Best.
Barley will be sourced by malting partners from a significant number of farms across Scotland. Through a combination of Tennent Caledonian branded contracts and long term buying commitments, the brewer will build closer ties with Scottish growers.
John Gilligan, Managing Director of Tennent Caledonian commented: 'We have been looking at ways to phase in 100 per cent Scottish barley sourcing for some time so we are delighted to now be in a position to apply this pledge across our whole range. Scottish barley is known globally as being amongst the best in the brewing business, so by working with local maltsters and farmers that we trust, we not only support Scottish suppliers but we ensure that our brands are created using the highest quality ingredients available.'
Notes to editors:
- Beer has been brewed at Wellpark for over 400 years, since 1556.
- The Tennent's business has been brewing since 1740 at the historic Wellpark Brewery in the east end of Glasgow - built by H&R Tennent and today the oldest running commercial concern in Glasgow
- Introduced in 1885, Tennent's Lager is known as an industry pioneer, recognised as being the first commercial lager to be produced to scale in Scotland (and one of the first in the UK) and at the forefront of introducing canned and draught lager to the UK
- The brand is renowned for its iconic 'Red T' logo and for its innovative marketing campaigns, including some of Scotland's most memorable and entertaining advertising
- In November 2010 the business opened its Tennent's Training Academy on-site at Wellpark. This state-of-the-art facility provides high quality industry training that is accessible for the entire industry - not just for Tennent's customers
- Since 2010, as part of an ongoing programme to help build a robust Scottish on trade, Tennent Caledonian has been offering investment finance to its free on trade partners to support cash flow, re-financing and growth plans
- In October 2011, Tennent Caledonian launched a major beer brand for Scotland - Caledonia Best - made with 100 per cent Scottish barley
- In March 2012 Scotland's First Minister the Right Honourable Alex Salmond MSP opened a new £4 million bottling line at Wellpark Brewery
- In April 2012 Tennent Caledonian launched a premium export lager for the Scottish market: Tennent's Original Export - brewed in Glasgow using the finest natural ingredients
- In July 2012 Tennent Caledonian was awarded a series of gold, silver and bronze medals at two of the toughest global beer quality challenges: the Monde Selection in Belgium and the International Beer Challenge. Three of the business's new brands fared well in the competitions, with five medals awarded for Tennent's Original Export (UK market), and Tennent's Scotch Ale / Tennent's Extra (Italian market)
- In November 2012, the business raised £16,000 for Capability Scotland following its pledge to donate 5p of every pint sold on the day of Glasgow's Olympic homecoming parade.
- Caledonia Best uses the very best ingredients that Scotland has to offer. Crafted in the famous Wellpark brewery, it combines 100% Scottish barley and water from Loch Katrine with the skill and dedication of an exceptional team of Master Brewers, producing an ale perfect for Scotland.
- Caledonia Best enjoyed the most successful on-trade launch in the last three years with 1400 stockists secured in Scotland (source: CGA Strategy)
- Caledonia Best is committed to Scotland. Whether through sporting partnerships across Rugby and Golf, or its pledge to source all barley from Scottish farmers, Caledonia Best is committed to celebrating the best Scotland has to offer.
- The Caledonia Best Seed Fund was introduced to support the two industries at the heart of the pint - brewing and farming in Scotland. With 5 pence from every pint sold in the first six months of its launch (October 2011), the Seed Fund reached a total of £58,000. Applications were invited from individuals and groups based in Scotland with ideas and projects that relate to farming or brewing. The Seed Fund is supporting seven successful applicants with a Seed Fund grant to support projects that would otherwise have difficulty in securing funding at the early stages of their development
- Caledonia Best is the Official Beer of Scottish Rugby. The three-year partnership, the biggest of its kind in Scottish Rugby history, spans the professional game in Scotland, with Caledonia Best becoming the Official Beer partner to the national team, Edinburgh Rugby, Glasgow Warriors and the Emirates Airline Glasgow 7s.
- Caledonia Best is proud to partner with Scottish golfing legend Sam Torrance, the Caledonia Best Clubhouse Captain. The role sees Sam Torrance play a major role in Caledonia Best's golf activity.
SOURCE Tennent Caledonian
More by this Source
Cheers for Heroes!
Nov 23, 2013, 04:00 ET
Tennent Caledonian Breweries Supports Glasgow Man for World Record Attempt
Nov 08, 2013, 11:31 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.