DALLAS, Nov. 30, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- On November 29, Texas Senators Paul Bettencourt, Brandon Creighton, Kelly Hancock, and Van Taylor filed Senate Bill 2 ("SB 2"), "Property Tax Reform & Relief Act of 2017."
As introduced, SB 2 would:
- Lower the rollback tax rate from 8% to 4%;
- Require automatic tax ratification elections if a tax rate exceeds the rollback rate;
- Require that tax ratification elections be held on general election dates;
- Create a Property Tax Administration Advisory Board in the Texas Comptroller's office;
- Require appraisal districts to use the appraisal manuals issued by the Texas Comptroller;
- Provide a uniform deadline of May 15 for all property tax protests;
- Require specialized Appraisal Review Board panels in counties with a population of at least 120,000 for commercial properties, utilities, industrial and manufacturing properties, and multifamily residential real properties;
- Clarify that a majority vote by an Appraisal Review Board is binding;
- Allow properties with a value up to $5 million to use binding arbitration in lieu of litigation; and
- Prohibit local governments from challenging the value of an entire class of properties.
The proposed reforms are the result of testimony provided during public hearings held by the Senate Committee on Property Tax Reform & Relief. These reforms should increase taxpayer participation, simplify the process, and result in more uniform appraisals.
Ryan is an award-winning global tax services firm, with the largest indirect and property tax practices in North America and the seventh largest corporate tax practice in the United States. With global headquarters in Dallas, Texas, the Firm provides a comprehensive range of state, local, federal, and international tax advisory and consulting services on a multi-jurisdictional basis, including audit defense, tax recovery, credits and incentives, tax process improvement and automation, tax appeals, tax compliance, and strategic planning. Ryan is a five-time recipient of the International Service Excellence Award from the Customer Service Institute of America (CSIA) for its commitment to world-class client service. Empowered by the dynamic myRyan work environment, which is widely recognized as the most innovative in the tax services industry, Ryan's multi-disciplinary team of more than 2,100 professionals and associates serves over 12,000 clients in more than 40 countries, including many of the world's most prominent Global 5000 companies. More information about Ryan can be found at ryan.com.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION CONTACTS:
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/texas-bill-would-reform-the-states-property-tax-300370856.html