DALLAS, June 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Extending its leadership in energy measurement solutions for the smart grid, Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced new three-phase metering systems-on-chip (SoC) for smart electricity meters and portable measurement applications. The new MSP430F67641 SoCs include high-performance delta-sigma analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) for energy measurement products requiring high accuracy across a wide dynamic range. An integrated 320-segment LCD eliminates the need for external drivers and enables developers to create the next generation of smart energy measurement devices with detailed displays and extended language support, while still maintaining low-power consumption in sleep mode.
In addition, the new MSP430F6779A metering SoCs include advanced security and electrostatic discharge (ESD) features. A 128-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) hardware-accelerated module speeds encryption time, improves meter security and performance. With more flash memory integrated on-chip, smart grid developers can incorporate more sophisticated metering features like multi-dwelling dynamic pricing, large buffers for interval data, DLMS/COSEM for meter data formatting, and communication stacks for both wired and wireless protocols.
Developers will also benefit from TI's TPS54060 step-down converter that provides a regulated DC supply of 3.3V with low quiescent current to ensure full-speed operation of the MSP430F67641 and MSP430F6779A devices.
Additional features and benefits of TI's metering SoCs:
- MSP430F67641 devices provide 0.5 percent accuracy and MSP430F6779A devices provide Class 0.1 accuracy across a 2000:1 dynamic range through -40 to +85 degrees Celsius.
- Free Energy Library code performs all of the energy and power calculations required for ANSI/IEC qualified meters and provides an easy starting point for customers developing utility meter products.
- MSP430F67641 SoCs provide multiple low-power modes and power consumption as low as 0.78µA for developers needing to design ultra-low power metering devices.
- Simultaneous sampling of the on-chip 10-bit successive approximation (SAR) ADC with the delta-sigma ADCs eliminates software compensation for sequential sampling, which helps developers reduce the size of software code.
- Integrated on-chip memory (128KB flash on MSP430F67641 and 512KB flash on MSP430F6779A) allow developers to include communication stacks for both wired and wireless protocols, including ZigBee®, wM-Bus, power line communication (PRIME, G3-PLC, IEEE-P1901.2) and RF mesh networks.
Pricing and availability:
TI's MSP430F67641 SoCs are available immediately for USD $2.85 in 1K units. Additionally, several development kits are available for engineers to kick start their development, including the MSP-TS430PEU128 programming and debug board ($117), MSP-FET430U128 flash emulation tool ($175), EVM430-F67641 evaluation module ($299). The MSP430F6779A metering SoCs are available immediately for USD $6.90 in 1K units with the EVM430-F6779 evaluation module for USD $299.
Getting started with TI's microcontroller and smart grid solutions:
- Learn about ultra-low power MSP430 MCUs.
- Find out more about TI's smart grid solutions.
- Get started with TI's library of reference designs for smart meters.
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the MSP430 forum on the TI E2E™ Community.
- Launch Your Design with TI MCUs: www.ti.com/launchyourdesign
- Follow TI MCUs on Facebook: www.facebook.com/timicrocontrollers
Innovation is at the core of TI MCUs
Beginning with the foundation of leading process technology and adding unique system architecture, intellectual property and real-world system expertise, TI continues its 20+ years of MCU innovation with ultra-low power MSP430 MCUs, real-time control C2000™ MCUs, Tiva™ ARM® MCUs and Hercules™ safety MCUs. Designers can accelerate time to market with TI's ecosystem of tools, software, wireless connectivity solutions, extensive Design Network offerings and technical support.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
MSP430, C2000, Tiva, Hercules and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments