Texas Instruments introduces first quad-channel 16-bit, 100 MSPS ADC for faster, smaller medical imaging equipment
Saves 50-percent board space, offers non-magnetic package option for MRI machines
DALLAS, May 23, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced the first quad-channel, 16-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC) for medical imaging applications, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The ADS5263 meets designers' needs for clear, crisp signals and faster acquisition times by delivering a high signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of 84.6 dBFS with 10-MHz input and a sampling frequency of up to 100 MSPS. Along with high performance, the quad-channel architecture, low power consumption of 380 mW/channel and small footprint of the ADS5263 allow engineers to design smaller, more compact medical imaging systems than were previously possible with existing single- or dual-channel devices. A non-magnetic package option allows for use in a strong magnetic field, such as in MRI machines [view video]. For information, samples and EVMs: www.ti.com/ads5263-pr
"Medical imaging systems like MRI machines typically require numerous high-performance electronics to achieve the clear, high-contrast images that doctors use for early detection of diseases. The large machines often involve a lengthy scan process, during which the patient is required to lie completely still," said Steve Anderson , senior vice president of TI's High Performance Analog business unit. "Taking advantage of both our data converter expertise and our long-standing experience in medical imaging applications, manufacturers can use the performance and compact footprint of the ADS5263 to deliver smaller, faster equipment with outstanding image quality for more efficient scans and increased patient comfort."
Key features and benefits:
- 14- and 16-bit resolution modes allow designers to switch between low-power and high-speed, high-resolution operation.
- In 16-bit mode, the ADS5263 delivers crisp images while maintaining low power consumption:
- SNR of 84.6 dBFS with 10-MHz input and 100 MSPS sampling frequency.
- 380 mW/channel.
- 4-Vpp full-scale input.
- In low-power 14-bit mode, the ADS5263 cuts its power consumption by about half:
- SNR of 73 dBFS with 10 MHz input and 100 MSPS.
- 195 mW/channel.
- 2-Vpp full-scale input.
- Compact footprint: Quad-channel architecture in 9-mm x 9-mm QFN package uses 50-percent less board space than existing single- or dual-channel devices.
- Non-magnetic package option allows for operation without image distortion in a strong magnetic field, such as in MRI equipment.
- In addition to medical imaging systems, the ADS5263 brings the same benefits to industrial instrumentation applications.
Tools and support
To provide a flexible environment for testing the ADS5263 under a variety of conditions, an evaluation module (EVM) is available. The ADS5263EVM is priced at $299.
An IBIS model to verify board signal integrity requirements is also available.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The ADS5263 is available now in two 9-mm x 9-mm QFN package options. The regular package for high-resolution, high-speed medical and industrial applications without a magnetic field is priced at $236.50 in quantities of 1,000. The non-magnetic package option for applications with a magnetic field, such as MRI machines, is priced at $385.50 in quantities of 1,000.
Highly optimized analog products and full portfolio for medical applications
The ADS5263 is the latest addition to TI's extensive, award-winning line of highly optimized analog products for medical imaging systems and other medical applications including:
- Ultrasound: The AFE58xx family of analog front ends for ultrasound applications with the AFE5801 and AFE5851 for handheld systems, the AFE5805 and AFE5804 for portable to mid-range systems, and the AFE5807 and AFE5808 for high-end ultrasound systems, all complemented on the transmit side by TI's TX810 T/R switch.
- ECG/EEG: The ADS1298 family of analog front ends bringing lowest power and highest integration to electrocardiogram (ECG), electroencephalogram (EEG) and other patient monitoring applications.
TI's full portfolio of semiconductor solutions for medical applications includes embedded processors, such as DSPs and MCUs, plus a full range of analog signal chain, power management and wireless connectivity solutions, which allow manufacturers to bring innovative medical electronics to market faster.
Find out more about the ADS5263 and TI products for medical imaging:
- Download the datasheet and order ADS5263 evaluation modules and samples at www.ti.com/ads5263-pr
- View TI's medical imaging website for system block diagrams and to explore TI's full portfolio for medical imaging applications like ultrasound, CT scanners and MRI machines: www.ti.com/medicalimaging
- Download TI's Medical Imaging Applications Guide: www.ti.com/imagingguidepdf-pr
- Learn more about TI's offering for Medical applications at www.ti.com/medical
About medical components from Texas Instruments
TI is helping shape technology to improve the quality and accessibility of medical equipment to revolutionize healthcare in the 21st century and beyond. With its full range of analog and embedded processing products, from building blocks to complete semiconductor solutions, plus systems insight, global support infrastructure, advanced process technology and medical industry involvement, TI is helping make innovative medical electronics more flexible, affordable and accessible. TI's experience in diverse markets, such as wireless communications, consumer electronics, automotive and aerospace, enables engineers to meet increasing needs for higher speeds, higher precision, lower power and smaller equipment, while maintaining the high standards for quality and reliability that the medical market demands. For more information, please visit http://www.ti.com/medical
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
More by this Source
TI introduces industry-leading ultra-low noise, high PSRR linear voltage regulators
May 14, 2013, 08:00 ET
TI CEO Rich Templeton to deliver keynote at J.P. Morgan investor conference
May 09, 2013, 13:16 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.