The Alleghenies Winter Wonderland, a Wealth of Outdoor Recreation Activities
ALTOONA, Pa., Jan. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Winter time in The Alleghenies is the perfect time of year to spend with family and friends enjoying outdoor activities. Located in Southcentral Pennsylvania, The Alleghenies offer a variety of winter recreation activities, from skiing to ice skating.
With the launch of the winter recreation activities on the website, visitors can learn more in-depth information on the following:
- Cross Country Skiing
- The region contains more than 15 designated cross country trails through the tranquility of the woods and open fields. Additionally, many of the more than 60 hiking routes in the region make for some great cross country touring as well as snowshoeing.
- Downhill Skiing
- There are more than 101 slopes ready for downhill skiing, including those on Pennsylvania's highest skiable mountain.
- Ice Fishing
- With more than 20,000 acres of lakes, ice fishermen are sure to find a great spot in The Alleghenies.
- Ice Skating
- You can lace up your skates on more than nine outdoor pond or indoor rink locations throughout the region.
- Whether on a sled or toboggan, The Alleghenies has a variety of great runs sure to make for a memorable day in a number of state parks and public areas.
- With designated trails in more than 18 locations, snowmobilers will enjoy riding in state parks and public areas.
- The region features everything from full-service resorts with slope-side rooms to quaint bed & breakfasts to vacation homes with roaring fireplaces.
"The natural beauty of the mountains, coupled with the region's proximity to several metropolitan areas, makes The Alleghenies an ideal destination for outdoor recreation enthusiasts," said Adrienne Eichenlaub, The Alleghenies Regional Tourism Program Manager. "The winter recreation offering has something for our spectrum of audiences from thrill seekers to families."
The Alleghenies are centrally located 3.25 hours from Washington D.C./Baltimore, 2 hours from Pittsburgh and about 4.75 hours from Philadelphia.
Winter Stat Pack
The Alleghenies receive over 52 inches of annual snowfall. The average temperature between January and March is 31 degrees F. Area ski resort elevations range from 1,819 feet at Tussey Mountain to 3,136 feet at Blue Knob All Seasons Resort (highest skiable mountain in Pennsylvania).
On the website, visitors can sort through information according to activity, location or both. Additional features include details on local outfitters (to outfit your adventure), indoor activities (museums and activities), lodging/accommodations and The Alleghenies social media networks. Stay up-to-date this winter by following The Alleghenies on Twitter and Facebook.
The Alleghenies: The Alleghenies Tourism Council is a partnership of organizations interested in further developing the tourism industry and economic development opportunities in an eight county region in Southcentral Pennsylvania. The Council works under the umbrella of the Southern Alleghenies Planning & Development Commission, a non-profit economic development agency. For more information on The Alleghenies, call 1-800-458-3433 or visit www.TheAlleghenies.com.
SOURCE The Alleghenies Tourism Council
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.