The Commissioner of Tailgating Crushes Can Record
Commish Topples World's Largest Aluminum Can Chain Record to Launch Can Crusade
GREEN BAY, Wis., Sept. 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Aluminum Association today announced that the Commissioner of Tailgating Joe Cahn and a team of Green Bay area residents achieved the GUINNESS WORLD RECORD® for the world's largest chain of aluminum cans by stringing together 66,343 cans in 24 hours – a chain that spans nearly five miles in length – at the Brown County Fairgrounds in DePere, Wis. The new record of 66,343 cans surpasses the former record of 66,129, set by Hillcrest Primary School in South Africa in 2003.
The record-breaking event kicks off the first-ever Can Crusade, a nationwide awareness campaign created to remind fans that using aluminum cans when tailgating is the smartest choice.
"As the Commissioner of Tailgating, I have a responsibility to the fans to make sure that they are hosting extremely fun and safe tailgates on game day," said Joe Cahn, The Commissioner of Tailgating, who has tailgated at more than 800 games and traveled 800,000 miles in his career. "By breaking this record and setting out on the Can Crusade, I want tailgaters to be aware of the fact that aluminum cans are stackable, portable, safer and infinitely recyclable."
The work on the world's longest can chain began at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 6 and continued throughout the night until the record-setting 66,343rd can was strung. Once the record was verified by Philip Robertson, a GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS Adjudicator, the cans will be delivered to local plant Alter Metals for recycling, with the proceeds of the cans set to be donated to a Green Bay food pantry—Paul's Pantry. The Aluminum Association is donating an additional $5,000 to Paul's Pantry.
"Creating a chain of 66,343 aluminum cans that spans nearly five miles in length in less than 24 hours is no easy task," Robertson said. "We applaud The Commissioner of Tailgating and the Aluminum Association for their hard work and enthusiasm for the Can Crusade, and their reward is setting a brand new record."
The Commissioner of Tailgating will tour 17 NFL games on the Can Crusade this season, beginning in Green Bay as the Green Bay Packers face off against the New Orleans Saints to start the NFL season. Fans are encouraged to tailgate with the Commissioner, who will be handing out Can Crusade t-shirts, hats and can handles at his RV in the parking lot at each tour stop.
Fans are also encouraged to interact with The Commissioner through Twitter (@Tailgating_com) and Facebook (Tailgating.com), and check in at his RV on Foursquare. A special QR code will be displayed on his RV at all tour stops that will link fans to a special video message from The Commissioner. For more information on the Can Crusade, visit www.cancrusade.com.
Look for The Commissioner of Tailgating in a parking lot at an NFL game near you at these tour stops:
- Thursday, September 8, Green Bay, Wis., Saints at Packers, 8:30 p.m. ET
- Sunday, September 11, Chicago, Ill., Falcons at Bears, 1 p.m. ET
- Sunday, September 18, Foxborough, Mass., Chargers at Patriots, 4:15 p.m. ET
- Sunday, October 2, Cleveland, Ohio, Titans at Browns, 1 p.m. ET
- Sunday, October 9, Pittsburgh, Pa., Titans at Steelers, 1 p.m. ET
- Monday, October 17, East Rutherford, N.J., Dolphins at Jets, 8:30 p.m. ET
- Sunday, October 23, Nashville, Tenn., Texans at Titans, 1 p.m. ET
- Sunday, November 6, Washington, D.C., 49ers at Redskins, 1 p.m. ET
- Monday, November 7, Philadelphia, Pa., Bears at Eagles, 8:30 p.m. ET
- Thursday, November 17, Denver, Colo., Jets at Broncos, 8:20 p.m. ET
- Thursday, November 24, Detroit, Mich., Packers at Lions, 12:30 p.m. ET
- Sunday, December 4, Miami, Fla., Raiders at Dolphins, 1 p.m. ET
- Thursday, December 15, Atlanta, Ga., Jaguars at Falcons, 8:20 p.m. ET
- Monday, December 19, San Francisco, Calif., Steelers at 49ers, 8:30 p.m. ET
- Saturday, December 24, Dallas, Tex., Eagles at Cowboys, 4:15 p.m. ET
- Sunday, January 1, Houston, Tex., Titans at Texans, 1 p.m. ET
- Super Bowl XLVI: Sunday, February 5, Indianapolis, Ind., 6:30 p.m. ET (TBD)
About the Aluminum Association
The Aluminum Association based in Arlington, Virginia, works globally to aggressively promote aluminum as the most sustainable and recyclable automotive, packaging and construction material in today's market. The Association represents U.S. and foreign-based primary producers of aluminum, aluminum recyclers and producers of fabricated products, as well as industry suppliers. Member companies operate more than 200 plants in the United States, with many conducting business worldwide.
SOURCE Aluminum Association
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.