The Dyson Airblade(TM) Hand Dryer Receives Industry First Carbon Reduction Label
CHICAGO, March 24 /PRNewswire/ -- As an industry first, Dyson's patented Airblade™ hand dryer is the first hand dryer to earn the Carbon Reduction Label from the Carbon Trust. Furthermore, Dyson research found that the manufacture of the new polycarbonate-ABS Dyson Airblade™ produces 50% less CO2 emissions than the aluminum equivalent launched in 2007.
The Carbon Reduction Label recognizes manufacturers' commitment to the further reduction of their product's carbon footprint - the amount of carbon emissions (CO2 and other greenhouse gases) produced from its materials and manufacture, transport, in-use and end of life. The Label, established in 2007 is based on PAS2050, the first internationally-accepted product carbon footprint standard. The Carbon Trust only grants their Label to companies with a 'reduce it or lose it' clause whereby if they fail to reduce the carbon footprint of the product in two years the Carbon Trust will withdraw the certification.
The rigorous process revealed that the Dyson Airblade™ hand dryer emits 1,300 kg/ CO2e total emissions during its lifetime or 3.4 g/CO2e per dry(1) – equal to the carbon emissions created by watching just over 2 minutes of television(2).
"Good design and environmental responsibility go hand in hand," says James Dyson, Chief Engineer. "As an engineering company, we are constantly reviewing our machines and manufacturing to deliver better performance using less energy and materials."
The Dyson Airblade™ hand dryer eliminates the power hungry heating element, drying hands faster, more hygienically while using nearly 80% less energy than traditional warm air dryers(3).
According to Tom Delay, Chief Executive of the Carbon Trust, "More so than ever, everything we make and do today has a carbon impact. We commend Dyson for their commitment to measure and reduce the carbon footprint of the Airblade™ hand dryer and hope our recognition helps people find opportunities to tackle climate change."
THE DYSON AIRBLADE™ HAND DRYER LIFECYCLE:
The carbon footprint study of the machine revealed the following:
Materials and manufacture:
- Represents 7.3% of the Dyson Airblade™ hand dryer's total carbon emissions. The smallest component measured was a PCB resistor weighing just 0.09g. The machine, made from polycarbonate-ABS (PC-ABS), a strong and flexible plastic used to make riot shields and police helmets, produces over 50% less CO2 emissions during production than the aluminum equivalent.
- Transport, from the production of the machine's materials to public restrooms, to recycling facilities, makes up less than 1% of the total carbon footprint of the machine. The close proximity of Dyson suppliers to testing, development and assembly operations in Malaysia helps minimize transport emissions.
- Dyson also avoids energy exhaustive air-freighting by shipping its products around the world by sea using fuel-efficient vessels, rail and canal.
- The biggest impact on the Dyson Airblade™ hand dryer's carbon footprint is not through manufacture or transport, but its energy in use representing 92.1% of total carbon emissions.
- The Dyson digital motor spins at 81,000rpm – five times faster than a Formula 1 car engine. Unlike conventional brushed motors, it doesn't emit harmful carbon particles into the air.
- The machine's end of life phase represents less than 1% of the machine's total carbon footprint.
- Dyson ensures that it engineers machines and technologies that are reliable and durable thereby reducing the number of machines that need to be recycled or discarded. Almost all the machine's component parts are recyclable.
- The Dyson Airblade™ hand dryer is guaranteed by a 5-year warranty.
ABOUT THE DYSON AIRBLADE™ HAND DRYER:
The Dyson Airblade™ hand dryer is the first hand dryer that actually works, leaving hands clean and dry in just 12 seconds. Powered by the Dyson digital motor, two high-velocity sheets of air literally scrape water from hands like a windshield wiper.
Dyson's Airblade™ is the only hand dryer to use a HEPA filter, cleaning the air before touching your hands - it is the only hand dryer certified hygienic by NSF International.
Dyson's patented Airblade™ technology is available in two versions. For heavy traffic and extreme use in places such as airports and stadiums, AB02, priced at $1399.99 is designed with high-impact robust aluminum. Priced at $1199.00, the second iteration AB04 is made from PC-ABS – a lightweight yet durable compound, ideal for standard commercial use in restaurants, hotels, hospitals and all other public restrooms.
For more information, contact Valerie Silvis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.706.2266 or visit
(1) Calculations based on 200 uses per day over 5 years
(2) Assuming a 32” widescreen LCD TV using 0.14kw
(3) Based upon the Dyson Energy Consumption test method for dry time to 0.1g
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.