The Elton John AIDS Foundation (EJAF) Announces $850,000 in New Grants EJAF's First Round of Grants for 2013 Focuses on the Challenges of the U.S. Epidemic
NEW YORK, May 7, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Elton John AIDS Foundation (EJAF) today announced its first round of grants for calendar year 2013, totaling $850,000. The three new and two renewal grants support organizations working to address some of the most critical challenges of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the United States. The projects being supported include:
- efforts to improve access to HIV-related medical services in Puerto Rico, an area of the country hardest hit by the AIDS epidemic;
- programs that help link people with little or no health coverage to resources that will help them stay on their HIV/AIDS medications;
- advocacy and education about HIV criminalization to end the use of criminal law to prosecute and imprison HIV-positive people for consensual and no-risk behavior;
- an engagement campaign to bring the documentary film How to Survive a Plague and associated education programs to a broader audience; and
- the creation of the New York City AIDS Memorial and the development of associated education programs.
View a complete list and project descriptions for these latest grants at www.ejaf.org/2013-grants.
The Elton John AIDS Foundation (EJAF) was established as a nonprofit organization in the United States in 1992 and as a registered charity in the United Kingdom in 1993 by Sir Elton John. Together, both entities have raised more than $300 million for worthy programs in 55 countries around the globe since inception. Today, the Foundation is one of the world's leading nonprofit HIV/AIDS organizations supporting innovative HIV prevention programs, efforts to eliminate stigma and discrimination associated with HIV/AIDS, and treatment, care, and support services for people living with HIV/AIDS. The U.S. organization's current grant-making priorities target HIV prevention programs throughout the United States, the Americas, and the Caribbean; HIV prevention and care services for highly marginalized and vulnerable populations; and HIV/AIDS prevention education and the promotion of sexual health for adolescents.
For more information, and for a complete list and project descriptions for EJAF's 2012 grants, please visit www.ejaf.org. American Airlines is the official sponsoring airline of the Elton John AIDS Foundation.
SOURCE Elton John AIDS Foundation