SAN JOSE, Calif., Oct. 19, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Local Silicon Valley corporations are teaming up with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to sponsor the Silicon Valley Light The Night Walk on October 22, 2016 at Avaya Stadium, home of the San Jose Earthquakes. Corporate sponsors for 2016 include:
- Silicon Valley Bank: With a long legacy of partnership with LLS, Silicon Valley Bank's support has been a catalyst for growth and change in the LLS ecosystem and on the path towards cures. As the Innovation Partner for this year's Light The Night Walk, Silicon Valley Bank is a Co-Presenting sponsor of the walk, as well as the new Light The Late Night Celebration.
- Western Digital: SanDisk, a Western Digital company, is an LLS sponsor who has played a key role in the growth of Light The Night through increased sponsorship commitments and strong employee engagement. Western Digital joins Light The Night as a Presenting level sponsor. Team fundraising efforts and philanthropy are integral to the company culture and reflected in their dedication to the Silicon Valley Walk and funding cures.
- The San Jose Earthquakes: The Quakes have been long-time supporters of LLS and have participated in Light The Night for many years. As the host sponsor, the organization's support and partnership has been integral to the transformation of the Light The Night Walk. This year the Quakes will link their name to the pediatric research portfolio and are dedicated to curing cancer and improving the quality of life for patients.
- BD Biosciences: The new BD is on the front lines of advancing cures and is committed to a new era in healthcare. The company's mission is closely aligned with that of LLS as many LLS-funded researchers use BD machines and technology to advance their work in the lab. At this year's Light The Night Walk, BD will sponsor a mission-focused area that tells the story of BD's role in advancing cures for blood cancer patients.
This year the Silicon Valley Light The Night Walk will be held on Saturday, October 22 at Avaya Stadium in San Jose. Festivities will start at 5 p.m. Opening Ceremonies begin at 6:45pm and the walk will start at 7 p.m. During the walk, participants symbolically light the dark world of cancer by carrying illuminated lanterns to show how their lives have been affected by cancer: red for supporters, white for survivors, and gold for those walking in memory of a loved one lost to cancer. Thousands are expected to walk and raise funds to support treatments and research that are saving the lives of cancer patients today.
"Silicon Valley Bank has a long history of partnership with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society as part of our charter to fund innovation," said Joan Parsons, Executive Vice President for Silicon Valley Bank. "We are truly honored to continue to support the invaluable work being done by the Silicon Valley Chapter of LLS."
"We are extremely grateful for the generous support of our Silicon Valley partners," said LLS Executive Director Courtney Karnes. "These corporations have fully embraced the mission of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and their generosity helps us fund critical research and treatments that are saving the lives of cancer patients today."
- Register for the Silicon Valley Light The Night Walk
- Donate to the Light The Night Campaign
- Learn more about the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
About Light the Night
The Light The Night Walk is a family-friendly, non-competitive, one-mile route and is accessible to all fitness levels. There is no minimum for fundraising, but participants who raise $100 or more will become a Champion for Cures and will receive a t-shirt, dinner and an illuminated lantern on the night of the walk. Walkers who receive an illuminated lantern will show how their lives have been affected by blood cancer – white if they're a survivor, red if they're a supporter and gold if they're walking in memory of a loved one. Cancer survivors in attendance at all Light the Night Walks are honored guests and will receive these items regardless of their fundraising level.
About The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society® (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. The LLS mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world and provides free information and support services for patients and their loved ones.
Major LLS fundraising campaigns include Team in Training, Light The Night, Student Series, Man & Woman of the Year and Leukemia Cup Regatta. To reach the widest possible audience, LLS partners with national and regional level companies and brands, including Nike, Disney, Burlington and others.
Founded in 1949 and headquartered in Rye Brook, NY, LLS has chapters throughout the United States and Canada. To learn more, visit www.LLS.org. Patients and caregivers should contact the Information Resource Center at (800) 955-4572, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-leukemia--lymphoma-society-and-silicon-valley-corporate-partners-light-the-night-300347664.html
SOURCE The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society