MIAMI BEACH, Fla., Jan. 8, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- This year the Miami Design Preservation League welcomes friends AIA Miami, Bass Museum of Art, Fantasy Theatre Factory, HistoryMiami, Life Is Art, Miami Center of Architecture and Design, North Shore Historic District Neighborhood Association, Flamingo Park Neighborhood Association, Perez Art Museum Miami, South Florida Lindy Collective, South Florida Region Antique Automobile Club of America, The Original Miami Beach Antique Show, Viernes Culturales, Wolfsonian/FIU and more to Art Deco Weekend. With friends like these, you can expect over-the-top everything at what's become, over almost two generations, South Florida's dazzling annual kickoff. It's ADW, the January 15–17 festival of art and architecture on Ocean Drive between 5th and 13th streets—and, like a party hosted by your favorite friends, it's not to be missed.
Dates and Times:
- Friday, January 15, 2016: Noon - 11PM
- Saturday, January 16, 2016: 10AM - 11PM
- Sunday, January 17, 2016: 10AM - 8PM
Even if you've been to all 38 previous ADW festivals, you don't want to miss this one!
New features include:
- Barbara Baer Capitman Memorial: A highlight of the weekend will be the Barbara Baer Capitman memorial dedication on Saturday afternoon. Join local dignitaries to honor the founder of the Miami Design Preservation League and the mother of the Art Deco District!
- Deco Dance: (Lindy Hop Fest): MDPL partnered with the South Florida Lindy Hop collective to welcome over 100 Lindy Hop dancers to hit the dance floor to the retro tunes of Sarah Jane & the Blue Notes and the Shiny Shoes Big Band (and more) throughout the three day festival.
- The Life is Art Block: MDPL has invited Life Is Art to host and curate an entire block from 9th to 10th Streets, of South Florida artists, designated the "Life Is Art Block". Visual artists from young emerging artists to well-known experienced artists are joining the Art Deco Weekend for this brand new feature. Available during full festival days and hours.
- Live Jazz & Big Bands: A heavy line-up of retro inspired bands including Jazz and Big Bands including the French Horn Collective, Vinyl BLVD, Sarah Jane & the Blue Notes, the Shiny Shoes Band, WDNA Jazz Bootcamp Ensemble and more!
- Tours de Force: Get to know "The District" on a 90-minute guided Art Deco walking tour, but don't stop there. Check out the full line-up and reserve your spot on your favorite ones!
- Kids Club: Bring the kids to Ocean Drive for Art Deco Weekend where culture, art, music, magic, history and fun merge to create a free playground of activity for kids and families! The Kids' Club is the place to listen, dance, create and learn. All the fun will happen by the playground near 13th Street and Ocean Drive between 11am and 5pm on Saturday and Sunday at the famous Art Deco Weekend festival
- All of your favorites: Count on all the events you love about ADW: the Arf Deco parade and awards, the gleaming antique cars lining Ocean Drive, the booths that beckon with irresistible aromas and dazzling displays, the speakers whose expertise enlightens all things Art Deco, the retro fashion shows, the outdoor film series and of course the children's area, "The Playground."
The ADW website will help you plan. Start with the schedule for a bird's eye view of Art Deco Weekend. See what looks good, then get the details. It all begins at www.artdecoweekend.com, but here's the inside scoop...
Looking for theme inspired event at ADW? Check out the Art Block on Ocean Drive to catch live painting demonstrations or grab cocktails from the Art Bar sponsored by Titos Handmade Vodka and Bud Light. Next, catch a lecture. The ADW lecture series is all about Art & Architecture! Be sure to stop by the Art Deco Museum. In addition to MDPL's permanent exhibits, an exhibit will be on display for ADW in the Art Deco Museum titled, "The Art of Architecture." The exhibit covers all the architectural styles found in the famous city captured artistically by professional photographers.
Looking for the Art Deco in Art Deco Weekend? Well, be sure to check out the Lindy Hop Festival going on all three days (check the website for times). Do not miss the live Jazz and Big Bands. Definitely, check out the outdoor film series featuring two classic gangster films. Be sure to check out the retro-inspired Fashion Show! Jump on a guided walking tour of the district. And definitely check out the Retro Pavilion featuring the best Art Deco and midcentury items for show and sale. You will definitely want to check out the Speakeasy lounge sponsored by the Original Miami Beach Antique Show!
Check out the digital program guide for all the details: http://joom.ag/7Tvp
Don't miss a minute. Come early, stay late. And for more information visit www.artdecoweekend.com
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-miami-design-preservation-league-is-proud-to-announce-the-full-schedule-for-the-39th-art-deco-weekend-300201527.html
SOURCE The Miami Design Preservation League