SILVER SPRING, Md., Oct. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Each year The Obesity Society (TOS) promotes, rewards and encourages research in the field of obesity through its annual awards and grants program. The recipients of this year's awards and grants will be honored during ObesityWeekSM in Boston, MA from Nov. 2 – 7, 2014. ObesityWeek is the premier annual scientific and educational conference for obesity professionals, and is the largest meeting of its kind dedicated to obesity research, treatment and prevention.
"TOS developed these programs nearly a decade ago to promote, reward and encourage research in the field of obesity," says Steven Smith, MD, TOS President. "I salute these recipients for their significant contributions to the research of obesity."
TOS is pleased to congratulate the following recipients of the 2014 TOS Awards and Grants.
TOS 2014 Award Recipients (see more details in hyperlinked press releases)
- 2014 George A. Bray Founders Award — Gary Foster, PhD, Weight Watchers
- 2014 Mickey Stunkard Lifetime Achievement Award — Richard Atkinson, MD, Emeritus Professor of Medicine and Nutritional Sciences at the University of Wisconsin, Madison
- 2014 Atkinson-Stern Award for Distinguished Public Service — Martin Binks, PhD, Texas Tech University & Binks Behavioral Health
- 2014 TOPS Research Achievement Award — Michael Goran, PhD, Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California
- 2014 Lilly Scientific Achievement Award — Rachel Batterham, MD, PhD, Centre for Obesity Research, Department of Medicine, University College London (UCL)
TOS 2014 Grant Recipients (see more details in hyperlinked press release)
- 2014 Early-Career Research Grant — Courtney Peterson, PhD, Pennington Biomedical Research Center
- 2014 Early-Career Research Grant — Christina Roberto, PhD, Harvard School of Public Health
- 2014 Weight Watchers Karen Miller-Kovach Research Grant — Evan Forman, PhD, Drexel University
- 2014 Egg Nutrition Center Research Grant — Dexi Liu, PhD, University of Georgia
- Ruth Brown, MSc, PhD Candidate, York University
- Elizabeth Frost, PhD Candidate, Pennington Biomedical Research Center
- Ceren Ozek, PhD Candidate, University of Pennsylvania
- Hayley Syrad, PhD Candidate, University College London
- Kristin Young, MD, University of North Carolina
About The Obesity Society (TOS)
TOS is the leading scientific society dedicated to the study of obesity. TOS is committed to encouraging research on the causes, treatment, and prevention of obesity as well as to keeping the scientific community and public informed of new advances in the field. For more information please visit: www.obesity.org. Connect with TOS on social media: Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. Find TOS disclosures here.
About ObesityWeek 2014
ObesityWeek is the premier, international event focused on the basic science, clinical application, prevention and treatment of obesity. TOS and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) host the world's pre-eminent conference on obesity, ObesityWeek 2014, Nov. 2-7, at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center in Boston, Mass. For the second year, both organizations hold their respective annual scientific meetings under one roof to unveil exciting new research, discuss emerging treatment and prevention options, and network and present. Connect and share with ObesityWeek on Twitter and Facebook, or by using #OW2014.
SOURCE The Obesity Society