The Paley Center for Media Announces Livestream Information and UPDATED Schedule for TEDxWomen in New York and Los Angeles, December 1, 2011
Full Updated Schedule and Livestream Announced for TEDxWomen: The Conversation Continues
NEW YORK, Nov. 29, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- TEDxWomen, a one-day event planned for December 1 at the Paley Center locations in both New York and Los Angeles, will gather global thought leaders and innovators for a cross-disciplinary program focused on how women think and work, communicate and collaborate, learn and lead–what this means and why it matters to all of us. Speakers from around the globe –including women and men, from anthropologists to artists, scientists, and futurists–will share their ideas in the classic TED format, creating a program that surprises and inspires. TEDxWomen is curated and produced by The Paley Center for Media, and hosted by the Paley Center's President and CEO, Pat Mitchell.
TEDxWomen is sponsored by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, AOL, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Accenture, Hearst Magazines, and Verizon Foundation.
The speaker lineup has been updated below. Those unable to attend at the Paley Center locations in New York or Los Angeles, or attend one of the 100-plus local TEDx events being held across the globe, can watch the day's events via Livestream from: http://www.livestream.com/tedxwomen. To participate in the conversation via Twitter, use hashtag: #TEDxWomen. For more information and extended speaker bios, go to http://tedxwomen.org.
Resilience: The way women regroup, rebound, and rebuild after experiencing setbacks or loss, always moving forward
Live from New York 11:00 A.M. NY / 8:00 A.M. LA
Hosted by Pat Mitchell, President and CEO, The Paley Center for Media
- Gayle Tzemach Lemmon – Gayle Tzemach Lemmon is a fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations and a contributing editor-at-large for Newsweek Daily Beast, reporting on economic and development issues with a focus on women
- Jill Iscol — Jill Iscol is a donor activist and president of the IF Hummingbird Foundation whose mission is to support domestic and global efforts that strengthen democracy and reduce the social justice, economic and educational inequities that threaten it
- Nicholas Kristof — Columnist, Author
- Rachel Simmons— Rachel Simmons is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Odd Girl Out: The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls and The Curse of the Good Girl: Raising Authentic Girls with Courage and Confidence
- Busisiwe Mkhumbuzi — Busisiwe Mkhumbuzi is a seventeen-year-old eleventh grade student at Rand Girls' High School in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Lamis Zein — Lamis Zein is the first Lebanese woman who has qualified to conduct demolitions of cluster submunitions
- Katie Bell — Katie Bell is partner, Global Well-Being, for Gallup
- PERFORMANCE: Morley — Morley, the multi-talented singer/songwriter/producer breathes sensuality into activism with her unabashed love songs, humorous takes on life, and worldly lyrical stance
Relationships: The ties that bind us—to each other, to our communities, and to our most important institutions
Live from Los Angeles 2:15 P.M. NY / 11:15 A.M. LA
Hosted by Trevor Neilson, Cofounder and Partner, Global Philanthropy Group
- Tan Le — Tan Le is a technology entrepreneur and business executive
- Jennifer Siebel Newsom — Jennifer Newsom is a filmmaker, actress, spokesperson, and advocate
- Matt Petersen — Matt Petersen is president, CEO, and board member of Global Green USA
- Laura Turner Seydel — Laura Turner Seydel is a national environmental advocate and eco-living expert dedicated to creating a healthy and sustainable future for our children
- Dr. Noel Bairey Merz — Dr. Merz is the director of the Cedars-Sinai Women's Heart Center
- PERFORMANCE + Talk: Marilyn and Alan Bergman — Marilyn and Alan Bergman are lyricists for film, stage, and television and have created many unforgettable images with their lyrical mastery
ReBirth: How extended health, longevity, and an untapped potential is redefining women in their third act
Live from NY 5:00 P.M. EST / 2:00 P.M. PST
Hosted by Jane Fonda, Actress, Author, Producer, Activist, and Exercise Guru
- PERFORMANCE: Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo — Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo is a Nigerian-American poet and musician
- Suzanne Braun Levine — Suzanne Braun Levine is a writer, editor, and nationally recognized authority on women and family issues and media
- Dr. Mehmet Oz — Dr. Oz is the host of the Emmy Award–winning The Dr. Oz Show and a renowned cardiac surgeon
- Dr. Laura Carstensen — Dr. Carstensen is a member of the Psychology Department at Stanford University
- Mary Catherine Bateson — Mary Catherine Bateson is a writer and cultural anthropologist
- Dr. Michelle Warren — Dr. Warren is the founder and medical director of the Center for Menopause, Hormonal Disorders and Women's Health, since 1997
- Gloria Steinem — Gloria Steinem is a writer, lecturer, editor, and feminist activist
- PERFORMANCE: Girl Up featuring Project Girl Performance Collective — Girl Up is an innovative campaign of the United Nations Foundation which gives American girls the opportunity to become global leaders and channel their energy and compassion to raise awareness and funds for United Nations programs that help some of the world's hardest-to-reach adolescent girls
ReImagine: How women and girls imagine a better life — and a better world — and make their vision a reality, shaping a brighter future for us all
Live from Los Angeles 8:00 P.M. NY /5:00 P.M. LA
Hosted by Lisa Ling, Journalist
- PERFORMANCE: Julia Easterlin — Julia Easterlin is a singer-songwriter, vocalist, pianist, and guitarist who uses a looping machine to build her multi-layered sound
- Shahira Amin — Shahira Amin is an Egyptian journalist, the former deputy head of Egyptian state-owned Nile TV and one of its senior anchors
- Dr. Piya Sorcar — Dr. Sorcar is the founder and CEO of TeachAIDS "Google girls" — First place winners in their age category of the first annual Google Science Fair
- Shree Bose (winner in the 17-18 yrs. category)
- Naomi Shah (winner in the 15-16 yrs. category)
- Lauren Hodge (winner in the 13-14 yrs. category)
TEDxWomen will stream live to a network of over 100 TEDxWomen events happening around the globe: from Ankara to Amsterdam, Bogota to Beijing, Cluj-Napoca to Columbus.
The Paley Center is collaborating with Gallup, the global leader in behavioral economic research, to conduct pre-conference and live polling for TEDxWomen. Gallup interviews women across the U.S. and in more than 150 countries around the world, asking them for their opinions on hundreds of issues including health and wellbeing, safety, government and politics, education, and how they evaluate their lives today and in the future. The Paley Center will utilize Gallup questions and analysis in pre-conference polls and live polling during the event, comparing Gallup's data with the results from the TEDxWomen community. People interested in participating in pre-conference polling should visit http://tedxwomen.org.
TEDxWomen is an independently organized event, licensed by TED.
A TEDxWomen mobile app for iPhone and Android will also be available to get up-to-the-minute information about the event including agenda, photos, video, and more: https://mobileroadie.com/apps/tedxwomen.
For more information on TEDxWomen, please visit the conference website at http://tedxwomen.org.
About The Paley Center for Media
The Paley Center for Media seeks to preserve the past, illuminate the present, and envision the future through the lens of media. With the nation's foremost public archive of television, radio and Internet programming, the Paley Center produces programs and forums for the public, industry professionals, thought leaders, and the creative community to explore the evolving ways in which we create, consume, and share news and entertainment. In an era of unprecedented change, the Paley Center advances the understanding of media and its impact on our lives. The Paley Center was founded in 1975 by William S. Paley, a pioneering innovator in the industry. For more information, please visit http://www.paleycenter.org.
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California 26 years ago, TED has grown to support those world-changing ideas with multiple initiatives. At TED, the world's leading thinkers and doers are asked to give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. Talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Benoit Mandelbrot, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. Two major TED events are held each year: The TED Conference takes place every spring in Long Beach, California (along with a parallel conference, TEDActive, in Palm Springs), and TEDGlobal is held each summer in Edinburgh, Scotland.
TED's media initiatives include TED.com, where new TEDTalks are posted daily; the new TED Conversations, enabling broad conversations among TED fans; and the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as the ability for any TEDTalk to be translated by volunteers worldwide.
TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world are given the opportunity to put their wishes into action; TEDx, which offers individuals or groups a way to host local, self-organized events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to become part of the TED community and, with its help, amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
For information about TED's upcoming conferences, visit http://www.ted.com/registration
Paley Center for Media
SOURCE The Paley Center for Media
More by this Source
The Paley Center For Media Announces Dates And Lineup For 2013 PaleyFestPreviews: Fall TV
Aug 07, 2013, 13:28 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.