OAKLAND, Calif., Nov. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Dictionary.com, the leader in online word discovery resources, announced today that it has revamped its thesaurus to include over 1,000 modern synonyms, in addition to more than 30,000 new terms for frequently looked up words. This is the first modern content update to any thesaurus in over 160 years and provides words that are vital to helping writers, professionals and students. The re-envisioned Thesaurus.com and the Thesaurus Rex iOS app provide not only modern, updated content, but a suite of helpful features and tools found only in these products to help people find the perfect word. Discover more by taking a tour!
For students, writers, grammarians, songwriters, poets or anyone seeking the perfect word, exclusive and proprietary features include:
- Relevance: quickly ranks synonyms and gives you the "best match" for your searched word
- Complexity: filters and adjusts synonyms on a scale to find words that are either more easy/simple or complex/difficult
- Length: filters synonyms based on character count so you can find longer or shorter words -- perfect for writing sparse advertising copy or lengthening an essay
- Favorites: create a short list of your favorite synonyms, for fast reference when writing
- Examples & Tips: learn additional information with usage notes and example sentences
- Word Origin & History: understand new words in context
- Rhymes & Syllables: rhyming dictionary allows you to sort by exact number of syllables
The new features and content help all writers and students, too
"Until now, if you wanted to write about the environment, internet, modern workplace or mainstream psychology, a thesaurus wouldn't have been much help, as terms common to each of those subjects would have been absent," said Michele Turner, CEO, Dictionary.com. "This update to Thesaurus.com not only adds new, relevant words, but provides the proper context for them so that you can understand which synonym is most applicable."
The updated Thesaurus.com and Thesaurus Rex iOS app include new terms that are common to themes which regularly make their way into today's most important and interesting conversation topics:
- Going Green: sustainable, renewable, reusable, macro, seismic
- The Web: meme, viral, timeline, subtext, database, modality
- The Workplace: outsource, scalable, optimize, interdisciplinary, multitask
- Cultural Terms: reinvent, polarize, zeitgeist, minimalist, subculture, reductive
- Psychology: interpersonal, delusional, worldview, stressor, existential
Experience modern word discovery today at Thesaurus.com, or download it for your iPhone or iPad at http://dictionary.reference.com/apps.
Dictionary.com, LLC, the world's most authoritative online and mobile dictionary, helps people get smarter anytime, anywhere. Dictionary.com, an IAC (NASDAQ; IACI) company, offers its 65 million monthly users reliable access to millions of definitions, synonyms, spelling, audio pronunciations, example sentences, and translations from its properties at Dictionary.com, Thesaurus.com, and Reference.com, as well as through its suite of more than 24 apps across every major platform and its API data services. For more information, please visit www.dictionary.com.