The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust
LONDON, February 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
A Lasting Tribute for a Lifetime of Giving
Celebrating sixty years. From and for all generations of the Commonwealth Family
Today marks the formal launch of The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust, on the 60th anniversary of the accession of the Queen to the throne.
The establishment of the Trust was originally announced at the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in Perth, Australia in 2011. The Trust aims to celebrate HM The Queen's enormous contribution and unswerving dedication to the Commonwealth over the course of her 60 year reign.
Sir John Major, Chairman of the Trustee Board said, "I am delighted and honoured to have been invited to Chair the Diamond Jubilee Trust.The purpose of the Trust is to raise funds throughout the Commonwealth, and then work with strategic partners to identify charitable projects that will enrich the lives and opportunities of all its citizens
- across generations and geographical boundaries
- in order to provide a lasting legacy for HM The Queen.
It is our hope that individuals, organisations and countries will all wish to contribute to the Trust, as a tangible and enduring way of honouring HM The Queen, and to demonstrate the enormous respect and affection in which she is held, not only within the Commonwealth family, but also the wider world."
The Trust aims to reflect the qualities that citizens respect and value in Her Majesty. It will identify investments in legacy projects which will have a transforming impact on the life of Commonwealth citizens. The Trust will aim in particular to invest in some projects which encourage generations to work together for the benefit of communities, and activities that bring Commonwealth citizens together across geographical boundaries.
The Commonwealth Secretary General, Kamalesh Sharma, also on the board of Trustees, said, "Throughout sixty years of dedicated service and leadership as Head of the Commonwealth, The Queen has shown personal and unwavering commitment to all that the Commonwealth represents and holds dear - especially our shared values of democracy, development and diversity. The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust is an opportunity for Commonwealth citizens everywhere both to contribute and to be associated with initiatives that will ensure Her Majesty's commitment and service are celebrated in ways that are to the enduring benefit of our global Commonwealth family."
Details of some of the initial planned investments and partnerships will be announced in due course.
During the Jubilee year, individuals, groups, organisations and companies inside or outside the Commonwealth are invited to contribute to the Trust, as a lasting tribute to HM The Queen.
More details about the Trust, including a way to contribute, can be found at the Trust's website: http://www.jubileetribute.org
Notes to Editors:
1. The Queen is Head of the Commonwealth which has 54 states and 2 billion people. She is The Queen of 16 of these Commonwealth countries, known as Commonwealth Realms.
2. The Trust will be run and administered to ensure that every donation is used to the maximum benefit of commonwealth citizens and delivers results that make a real difference to people's lives. It will not establish a major new institution. It will work with established partner charities and organisations across the Commonwealth, both in the UK and elsewhere, to deliver iconic projects that are a fitting tribute to The Queen.
3. As announced at CHOGM this may include tackling curable diseases, promoting all forms of education and culture and other Commonwealth priorities.
4. The trustees are: The Rt Hon Sir John Major (Chairman), The Commonwealth Secretary General, The Rt Hon Lord Robertson, Professor Sir Mervyn King, The Rt Hon Sir Christopher Geidt & the Rt Rev and Rt Hon Richard Chartres, Bishop of London.
5. Projects will be chosen by the Trustees, who will consult widely before reaching decisions
SOURCE The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.