WARREN, Mich., May 18, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- For the 8th consecutive year, the Art Van Charity Challenge is making a major impact on communities throughout the Midwest. Kicking off on Wednesday, May 18, 147 nonprofits large and small will compete for grants up to $100,000. Over the course of just five weeks, participating charities will rally to raise $3 million.
Experience the interactive Multimedia News Release here: http://www.multivu.com/players/English/7765951-art-van-charity-challenge/
Since 2008, Art Van Furniture has donated $8 million and raised $22 million for more than 350 charities through the Art Van Charity Challenge. This year promises to be record breaking! Here's how it works:
- The goal of the 2016 Art Van Charity Challenge is to raise $3 million in five weeks, from Wednesday, May 18, through Wednesday, June 22
- 147 participating charities located across the Midwest will compete to raise the most money. These charities are focused on children, health care and human services
- The 10 nonprofit organizations to raise the most money will share $225,000 in prize grants from Art Van Furniture, ranging in size from $1,500 up to $100,000
- The Midwest's number one furniture and mattress retailer will donate $79,000 in bonus grants, which will be awarded to winning charities in special competitions throughout the program
- Total Art Van Furniture donations amount to $304,000
"We all play a role in helping each other," said Art Van Elslander, founder and chairman of Art Van Furniture. "The Art Van Charity Challenge has been successful because people understand this. I think this year will be the best yet!"
The winners of the Art Van Charity Challenge will be announced on Wednesday, June 22. All participating charities keep the funds they raise throughout the challenge. International supermodel, businesswoman and philanthropist Cindy Crawford is the Art Van Charity Challenge ambassador.
The Art Van Charity Challenge is powered by CrowdRise, an online charitable fundraising site, through which charities participating in the Art Van Charity Challenge have raised more money than any other CrowdRise challenge in the Midwest. For more information, including a complete list of this year's participating charities from Michigan, Toledo, Fort Wayne and Chicago, please visit www.artvancharitychallenge.com.
About Art Van Furniture
Art Van Furniture is the Midwest's largest furniture retailer and America's largest independent furniture retailer. The company operates 100 stores throughout Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana, including freestanding Art Van PureSleep mattress stores, Art Van Flooring stores, and Art Van Furniture franchise locations as well as a full service e-commerce website. Founded in 1959, the company is family-owned and headquartered in Warren, Michigan. Visit artvan.com for more information.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-race-is-on-for-147-charities-competing-in-the-art-van-charity-challenge-300270758.html
SOURCE Art Van Furniture