RACINE, Wis., June 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Recent severe winter weather across the U.S. has wreaked havoc on American homes, creating ideal conditions for pest infestations. Just in time to battle spring and summer bugs making their way into weather-worn cracks and crevices, the Raid® pest control brand has introduced the Raid® Defense System. It empowers consumers to work smarter, not harder and solve their bug problems.
"No one likes talking about pest problems in the home, but most Americans will encounter it at some point, especially when temperatures rise in summer months," said Kelly M. Semrau, Senior Vice President, Global Corporate Affairs, Communication & Sustainability. "Without the right tools and information, pest problems will persist and people will spend time and money trying to address the issue. We created the new Raid® Defense System to empower people to beat the bugs with confidence."
The Raid® Defense System provides a regimen of products and non-chemical tips that work together to attack, control and prevent home-invading pests. It is informed by the expertise of the Raid® Entomology Lab and will help consumers better battle bugs. Raid® products are labeled as attack, control or prevent to help guide the consumer to a solution that holistically battles bugs.
About the System
Too often, consumers approach pest control as a reactive measure, when there are proactive options to help keep problems from arising.1 Using the Raid® System Creator™ tool at raidkillsbugs.com, consumers can indicate the bug they want to target and where the problem is happening to receive a customized regimen of Raid® products and tips that work together to attack, control and prevent bug infestations.
- Attack Bugs: Use products such as sprays to kill bugs on contact. These products are for killing the bugs you see.
- Control Bugs: Use products such as baits or foggers to kill the bugs you don't see. Raid® baits kill whole nests or colonies, while foggers penetrate cracks and crevices where bugs hide.
- Prevent Bugs: Use barrier products to proactively keep bugs out of your home by laying down a line of defense to prevent home-invading pests.
- Tips: Home maintenance and repairs can also help. Caulk cracks and crevices, clean up messes, and store food in sealed containers. These measures can go a long way to help keep a pest problem from occurring.
In addition to the System Creator™, the site offers other helpful tools and advice suitable for general consumers, home and property owners, and renters – such as a product selector and comparison, a bug identifier, how-to videos and expert tips.
- Select & Compare Products: Select products using a series of filters and compare them against a variety of attributes.
- Bug ID: Answer a series of questions to properly identify the species of insect you're dealing with and then find more information about the insect, such as when the insect is most active and what attracts them.
- How-to videos: Watch simple, step by step instructions on how to solve the top bug problems.
- Expert Help: Search top bug questions and read through the answers, view a heat map that tracks web-related bug searches across the U.S. and view the insects that are receiving the most mentions on Twitter.
For over 55 years, SC Johnson has run the largest private, urban entomology lab in North America where entomologists study the insects that attack and invade homes. During that time, the company has uncovered a number of myths and misperceptions, inspiring the development of the Raid® Defense System.
One common misunderstanding is that insecticides are the only way to manage an infestation, and that's not always true. There are simple home maintenance habits that can help fend off bugs before needing to apply pest control products.
The experts behind the Raid® brand recommend that consumers:
- Store food in sealed containers or plastic bags
- Avoid putting organic mulch next to your foundation where insects hide
- Store firewood and compost away from the home
- Cover garbage and waste receptacles to prevent bug entry
- Don't leave outside lights on for long periods of time because lights attract bugs
To build a custom Raid® Defense System and obtain additional expert advice, visit raidkillsbugs.com.
About SC Johnson
SC Johnson is a family company dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, pest control and shoe care. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, TANA®, BAMA®, BAYGON®, BRISE®, KABIKILLER®, KLEAR®, MR MUSCLE®, and RIDSECT®. The 128-year-old company, that generates $9 billion in sales, employs nearly 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com
1 Google Trends/Search data re: pest control and related terms, 2004 to 2014, show increasing incidents of pest control searches and especially how to kill pests, versus controlling or preventing them.
SOURCE SC Johnson