CHEVY CHASE, Md., March 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- On Saturday, March 23rd at 8:30pm local time, The Ritz-Carlton hotels, resorts, clubs and residences around the world will proudly support Earth Hour by switching off non-essential lighting in key areas of the property. Founded by the World Wildlife Fund® (WWF), Earth Hour is the single largest, symbolic mass-participation event in the world, inspiring a global community of millions of people across 152 countries to switch off lights. Taking place annually, Earth Hour brings attention to sustainability issues on our planet and how each of us as individuals or organizations can make a difference. This year, The Ritz-Carlton properties will create unique experiences for their guests during Earth Hour, inviting them to join efforts to celebrate and protect the environment.
- At The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel Eco-Adventure Center naturalists will guide guests in discovering the constellations that can be seen in the night sky.
- The Ritz-Carlton, Doha guests will be invited to participate in "candlelight yoga" to celebrate Earth Hour.
- Guests at Hotel Arts, Barcelona will receive LED candles to take to their rooms and be invited to come down to Frank's Bar, where they will be offered a complimentary glass of cava to enjoy Earth Hour in a dimmed-light setting.
- At The Ritz-Carlton, Seoul, hotel staff will celebrate Earth Hour by wearing the traditional "Hanbok" costume, and holding a Korean lantern to light the way for guests.
- While at The Ritz-Carlton, Riyadh the team have been busy preparing 6,000 paper bags with sand, to hold thousands of candles that will be displayed throughout the grand palace hotel in place of electric lighting.
We invite you to follow @RitzCarltonCSR on Twitter to experience the activities as they take place around the world.
"The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company is committed to working towards a more sustainable future, by preserving natural resources and minimizing our impact on the environment," comments Sue Stephenson, vice president, Community Footprints for The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company. "Earth Hour is an outstanding forum for us to exercise this commitment and help raise awareness for the importance of environmental responsibility around the globe."
Participating in Earth Hour aligns with Community Footprints, The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company's social and environmental responsibility program, and its guiding principles to engage, contribute and inspire. Environmental responsibility is a key pillar of the program, and the global strategy includes water and energy conservation and waste management initiatives, sourcing environmentally preferred products, and increasing organic and locally sourced dining and spa options. For more information the global impact of Community Footprints, please visit www.ritzcarlton.com.
About The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C.
The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. of Chevy Chase, Md., currently operates 82 hotels in the Americas, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and the Caribbean. More than 30 hotel and residential projects are under development around the globe. The Ritz-Carlton is the only service company to have twice earned the prestigious Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award which recognizes outstanding customer service. For more information, or reservations, contact a travel professional, call toll free in the U.S. 1-800-241-3333, or visit the company website at www.ritzcarlton.com. The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marriott International, Inc. (NYSE: MAR)
About Community Footprints
Engage. Contribute. Inspire. These are the guiding principles of The Ritz-Carlton social and environmental responsibility program, Community Footprints. The Ritz-Carlton philosophy is that the global company should be aligned with the issues that are important to the communities where they operate, and strive to make a difference in three areas: Child Well-Being; Hunger and Poverty Relief; and Environmental Responsibility. Find out more at: www.communityfootprints.com and @RitzCarltonCSR on Twitter.
SOURCE The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C.