The Specialty Pharmaceutical Market Outlook: Key players, Opportunities and Future Trends
NEW YORK, July 7 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
The Specialty Pharmaceuticals Market Outlook reveals market dynamics, leading players and key therapy areas of opportunity for specialty pharma companies. Market drivers include increasing reimbursement from national health bodies and governments, industry consolidation, big pharma divestments and biotech growth. Resistors including increased competition, big pharma entry to specialty markets and the financial crisis are also examined in the context of industry strategies of licensing deals, product acquisitions and orphan drug development. Ten leading players are profiled including an analysis of current products, drug pipelines and threats from patent expiries.
The effects of industry trends such as rising costs, and generic erosion are analyzed and developed into an outlook for the future of the specialty sector, including strategies for future success.
Key features of this report
• Sizes the specialty pharmaceutical market and makes quantitative forecasts to 2014
• Details market drivers and resistors against the background of pharmaceutical market dynamics.
• Profiles the ten largest specialty pharma companies, including recent deals, product pipelines and key patent expiries.
• Analyzes the effects of wider pharmaceutical industry trends on specialty players.
• Details strategies for success in the future specialty pharma market.
Scope of this report
• Assess leading players in the specialty sector.
• Understand the drivers and resistors of the specialty pharmaceutical market.
• Understand key market strategies such as in-licensing, acquisitions and orphan drug development.
• Determine therapy areas of rich opportunity which are well suited to the specialty pharma business model.
• Develop strategies for success in the future specialty pharma market.
Key Market Issues
• Which therapy areas and indications have suitable dynamics for the specialty pharmaceutical business model?
• How is the financial crisis affecting the specialty pharma industry?
• Competition for licensing deals is increasing as big pharma companies rush to fill their pipelines.
• Healthcare reform is set to have wide ranging effects on the largest pharmaceutical market in the world.
• A further round of pharma industry consolidation will impact the specialty pharmaceutical industry.
Key findings from this report
• The specialty pharmaceutical market is estimated at $116bn in 2010 and is forecast to grow to $141bn by 2014.
• In 2008, specialty pharma companies accounted for 15% of global pharmaceutical sales, and 40% of sales not accounted for by big pharma companies.
• Central nervous system, anti-infectives, cardiovascular and ophthalmology were the largest specialty pharma therapy areas in 2008.
• Industry pressures on large diversified pharma companies are having a knock-on effect on the specialty sector in the form of increased competition for licensing deals.
Key questions answered
• What is outlook for specialty pharma companies and therapeutic markets to 2014?
• What are the drivers and resistors of the specialty pharma market?
• What are the leading players in the specialty pharmaceutical sector?
Alcon , Allergan , Biogen idec , Forest , Gilead sciences , Lundbeck , Mundipharma , Servier , Shire , UCB
Table of Contents
The Specialty Pharmaceutical Market Outlook Executive summary 10
The specialty pharmaceutical market 10
Specialty therapeutic markets 11
Leading players in the specialty pharmaceutical market 12
The future of the specialty pharmaceutical market 13
Chapter 1 The specialty pharmaceutical market 16
The specialty pharmaceutical market 18
Increasing reimbursement/healthcare reform 20
Industry consolidation 21
Big pharma divestment of therapeutic franchises 21
Long term growth of biotech 22
Increased competition for in-licensing deals 23
Increased competition in specialty markets 24
Reimbursement regime can depress prices 24
Financial crisis to inhibit near to medium term biotech productivity 24
Industry strategies 25
Licensing in products 26
Orphan drug development 27
Chapter 2 Specialty therapeutic markets 32
Drug innovation 34
Market overview 35
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder 39
Market overview 40
Market overview 44
Heart failure 45
Market overview 47
Age related macular degeneration 50
Chapter 3 Leading players in the specialty pharmaceutical market 54
Company overview 57
Marketed products and product pipeline 57
Geographic factors 58
Patent threat 59
Generic strength 59
Company overview 60
Marketed products and product pipeline 60
Patent threat 63
Growth of HIV market 63
Reliance on HIV 63
Company overview 64
Marketed products and product pipeline 64
Patent threat 67
Strong position in the epilepsy market set to continue 67
Biopharmaceutical pipeline potential 67
Forest Laboratories 68
Company overview 68
Marketed products and product pipeline 68
Patent threat 70
Mundipharma International 71
Company overview 71
Marketed products and product pipeline 71
Patent threat 73
Company overview 74
Marketed products and product pipeline 74
Patent threat 75
Strength in ADHD 76
Switching strategy may not succeed 76
Company overview 76
Marketed products and product pipeline 77
Patent threat 79
Strength in niche markets 80
Biogen Idec 80
Company overview 80
Marketed products and product pipeline 81
Patent threat 83
Safety risks of Tysabri and Rituxan 83
Company overview 84
Marketed products and product pipeline 84
Patent threat 86
Strength in the CNS field 86
Company overview 86
Marketed products and product pipeline 87
Patent threat 89
Positive outlook for the eye-care market 90
Chapter 4 The future of the specialty pharmaceutical market 92
Healthcare reform 94
Increased competition for licensing opportunities and acquisitions 94
Takeovers and mergers of specialty pharma companies 95
Increased development of specialty R&D 95
Concentrating on correct indications 96
Building partnerships 98
Effective search for products and candidates 99
Selected bibliography 100
List of Figures
Figure 1.1: Value chains of specialty and fully integrated pharmaceutical companies 18
Figure 1.2: Segmentation of the pharmaceutical market ($bn), 2008 19
Figure 1.3: Specialty pharmaceutical market ($bn), 2008-14e 20
Figure 1.4: Global biotech R&D expenditure ($bn), 2008-14e 23
Figure 2.5: Opportunity against requirement for innovation by therapy area 35
Figure 2.6: CNS market segmentation ($bn), 2008 36
Figure 2.7: Global anti-Alzheimer's drugs market ($bn), 2004-09e 38
Figure 2.8: Global anti-epilepsy drugs market ($bn), 2007-14e 39
Figure 2.9: Breakdown by drug class of the global anti-infectives market ($bn), 2008 41
Figure 2.10: Regional breakdown of the HIV drugs market ($bn), 2008 42
Figure 2.11: Global HIV drugs market ($bn), 2007-14e 43
Figure 2.12: US HIV population (m), 2005-14e 44
Figure 2.13: Breakdown by drug class of the global cardiovascular market ($bn), 2008 45
Figure 2.14: Incidence of chronic heart failure in the EU and the US ($m), 2010-16e 46
Figure 2.15: Sales of leading players in the ophthalmology sector ($bn), 2008 47
Figure 2.16: Global ophthalmic pharmaceutical sales ($bn), 2009–14e 48
Figure 3.17: Revenues of leading specialty pharma companies by therapy area 56
Figure 3.18: Alcon segmental revenues, 2008 87
Figure 4.19: Specialty pharma's increasing role in drug development 96
Figure 4.20: Tradeoff of competition and market size between small and large indications 97
List of Tables
Table 2.1: Key specialty therapy areas and market shares, 2008 33
Table 2.2: Sales performance of various CNS drug classes, 2008 37
Table 2.3: Prevalence of glaucoma in selected markets (m), 2008–14e 50
Table 3.4: Leading Servier marketed products ($m), 2008 57
Table 3.5: Servier product pipeline 58
Table 3.6: Gilead marketed products ($m), 2008 61
Table 3.7: Gilead product pipeline 62
Table 3.8: UCB marketed products ($m), 2008 65
Table 3.9: UCB product pipeline 66
Table 3.10: Forest marketed products ($m), 2008 69
Table 3.11: Forest product pipeline 69
Table 3.12: Mundipharma marketed products ($m), 2008 72
Table 3.13: Mundipharma product pipeline 72
Table 3.14: Shire marketed products ($m), 2008 74
Table 3.15: Shire product pipeline 75
Table 3.16: Allergan marketed products ($m), 2008 77
Table 3.17: Allergan product pipeline 78
Table 3.18: Biogen Idec marketed products ($m), 2008 81
Table 3.19: Biogen Idec product pipeline 82
Table 3.20: Lundbeck marketed products ($m), 2008 84
Table 3.21: Lundbeck product pipeline 85
Table 3.22: Alcon marketed products ($m), 2008 88
Table 3.23: Alcon product pipeline 89
To order this report:
Intl: +1 805-652-2626
More by this Source
Electrical Equipment Market in India 2014-2018
Dec 19, 2013, 14:34 ET
Global Probiotics Products Market 2014-2018
Dec 19, 2013, 14:29 ET
Global Specialized Threat Analysis and Protection Market 2014-2018
Dec 19, 2013, 14:22 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.