CHICAGO, April 8, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- More patients will die from pancreatic cancer than breast cancer this year, moving pancreatic cancer from the fourth to the third-leading cause of cancer-related death in the United States, according to the Cancer Statistics 2016 report, published by the American Cancer Society.
To change the course of this disease, the Chicago Affiliate of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is inviting the community to attend PurpleStride Chicago. The volunteer-led community celebration taking place on Saturday, April 30, through Jackson Park, will raise much needed awareness and funds to support the mission of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network to advance research, support patients and create hope.
To register and to learn more visit www.purplestride.org/chicago.
"Growing in participants and dollars raised year after year, PurpleStride Chicago is one of more than 50 signature awareness events held by the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network across the country this year," said Maureen Feck, Affiliate Chair for the Chicago Affiliate of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. "Our passionate and dedicated volunteers continue to lead the charge at PurpleStride Chicago, in which we demonstrate the impact that we can have in the fight against pancreatic cancer."
The family-friendly 5K timed awareness walk/run will include:
- Registration at 7 a.m., event begins at 8:30 a.m.
- Kid-friendly activities and "purple play zone"
- Opening ceremony featuring live entertainment
- Hosted by FOX 32 news anchor Corey McPherrin
- Honorary Co-Chairs include: Gerard Abood, MD, Assistant Professor – Surgical Oncology at Loyola University Medical Center, David Bentrem, MD, Surgical Oncology – Northwestern Medical Group, Mary Buschmann, PhD, Research Manager from University of Chicago/Chicago Pancreatic Cancer Initiative, Jennifer Gnerlich, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery from AMITA Health Cancer Institute/Loyola University Medical Center, Alexander Hantel, MD, System Medical Director, Oncology Services from Edward- Elmhurst Healthcare, and Robert Marsh, MD, Chief, Gastrointestinal Oncology from NorthShore University HealthSystem
- Gold Sponsor: Have A Skate With Bob
- Gold Media Sponsor: WFLD-TV, Paramount Media for Wayne Parrotti & Alexis Ramos
- National Presenting Sponsor: Celgene
- National Silver Sponsor: AbbVie
The American Cancer Society reports an estimated 53,070 Americans will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and approximately 41,780 will die from the disease this year.
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is working to double survival by 2020 by continuing to directly fund research, advocate for increased funding and resources from the national government, raise awareness through community outreach, and provide excellent patient services and support for novel initiatives like Clinical Trial Finder, Know Your TumorSM personalized medicine service and the Patient Registry.
Learn more about how you can support your local Chicago Affiliate and the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network by visiting www.pancan.org. Click to view this year's PurpleStride PSA and organizational PSA.
About the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is the national organization creating hope in a comprehensive way through research, patient support, community outreach and advocacy for a cure. The organization is leading the way to increase survival for people diagnosed with this devastating disease through a bold initiative — The Vision of Progress: Double Pancreatic Cancer Survival by 2020. To continue to accelerate progress, a goal to raise $200 million by 2020 is also in place. Together, we can Wage Hope and rewrite the future of pancreatic cancer.
Members of the media are invited to attend the event, interview and photograph participants, volunteers and special guests. Please contact Chastidee Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive further press instructions.
Public Relations Manager
Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-time-is-now-to-join-the-fight-against-pancreatic-cancer-at-purplestride-chicago-300248591.html
SOURCE Pancreatic Cancer Action Network