This year's program includes nine startups and one internal project, and builds on Disney Accelerator's success since its initial launch.
"We are evolving this year's Disney Accelerator to include many later-stage start-ups, and for the first time, an internal project," said Michael Abrams, Senior Vice President, Innovation, The Walt Disney Company. "This year's Disney Accelerator program is designed to advance a broader spectrum of the strategic investments we make in innovation across all of our businesses."
The companies selected for the 2016 Disney Accelerator include:
- Ader – a marketplace connecting brands with eSports and gaming influencers. The company's network of influencers reaches over 50 million monthly viewers.
- Atom Tickets- is a new mobile, movie ticketing app where customers can buy movie tickets, pre-order concessions, invite friends without having to pay for them, easily discover new movies, browse trailers, read reviews, and plan their next night out at the movies. Atom Tickets is movie-going for the twenty-first century.
- Hanson Robotics – a leader in creating human-like robots with a full range of facial expressions. Based in Hong Kong, Hanson Robotics is building a range of robots for the business and consumer markets. The videos of its robot "Sophia" have been viewed more than one billion times.
- Jaunt – pioneering end-to-end solutions for creating and publishing immersive cinematic virtual reality, Jaunt is a leading developer of the hardware, software, tools and applications that put the power of virtual reality in the hands of some of today's best content creators. Jaunt has raised over $100 million, and launched Jaunt China, a virtual reality joint venture with China Media Capital and Shanghai Media Group in May.
- littleBits – a platform of easy-to-use electronic building blocks that empowers kids to invent anything, from a remote controlled car to a dancing robot to a smart home device. littleBits was founded by Ayah Bdeir, Co-Founder of the Open Hardware Summit, a TED Senior Fellow and a graduate of the MIT Media Lab. On a mission to unleash the inventor in everyone and get kids excited about STEM, littleBits has raised over $60 million in funding.
- Nom – an online live streaming video community for chefs and food lovers. Nom users can create, share, watch, and participate in live videos while chatting and interacting with each other. Nom was founded by Vijay Karunamurthy, former YouTube engineering lead, and Steve Chen, Co-Founder and CTO of YouTube.
- OTOY – A "holographic content" platform bringing the power of light field rendering and network streaming to virtual reality and augmented reality experiences. OTOY's investors include Autodesk and advisers include Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman of Alphabet (formerly Google) and Ariel Emanuel, Co-CEO of WME|IMG.
- Playbuzz – a content-creation and audience-engagement platform that empowers tens of thousands of publishers, marketers, bloggers and brands to easily create engaging content using mobile-friendly formats that are optimized for social sharing. With headquarters in New York and Tel Aviv, Playbuzz has raised $31 million in funding.
- Pley – a leading toy subscription company that is pioneering the next generation in e-commerce for toys. For a monthly fee, members receive their preferred toys from a catalog of 500+ toys shipped directly to their door and can play with, keep or return each toy whenever they wish. Pley has raised more than $16 million in funding.
For more information go to www.DisneyAccelerator.com.
About The Walt Disney Company
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. Disney is a Dow 30 company and had annual revenues of $52.5 billion in fiscal 2015.
The Walt Disney Company
Brian Nelson, 650-963-8051
Kirsten Erickson, 818-931-3886
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20151007/275107LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-walt-disney-companys-accelerator-program-announces-2016-participants-300296769.html
SOURCE The Walt Disney Company