BOSTON, April 19, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- If you put off that big summer vacation last year, this year might be the time to pick up and go. The travel experts at Cheapflights.com, the leader in finding and publishing online travel deals, have found that even after last summer's seemingly record-low airfares, average flight prices to over half of the most popular destinations are shaping up to be more affordable this summer. A year-over-year comparison reveals a number of great getaways with notable (as much as 41 percent) discounts over last year's average flight prices.
Pulling from this research, the Cheapflights.com team has made its picks for 10 places to go where the airfare is low with a line-up of destinations near and far to help you shape your summer travel plans. Check out these destinations that top the list and start packing:
- Barcelona, Spain, down 41% over last summer – Admiring Pablo Picasso's art at the Museu Picasso, strolling Las Ramblas, walking through Gaudi's Parc Guell and sampling Spanish wines and savory tapas are perennially popular pastimes in Barcelona. Thanks to the newly opened L9 metro line, visitors can now quickly and cheaply travel from Barcelona Airport to the city. Barcelona offers many new attractions this year, including the newly opened Ferrari Land and the opening of Sant Pau's newly restored Sant Salvador hall. Barcelona is also hosting the 10th annual Circuit Festival, the largest LGBTQA festival in the world.
- Venice, Italy, down 31% over last summer – A trip to Venice, Italy, is always a priceless experience. Adding inexpensive airfare only sweetens the deal. There's plenty to do in the summertime, including experiencing the new Viva Vivaldi multimedia show at the Museo Diocesano d'Arte Sacra, which pays homage to Venetian composer Antonio Vivaldi. Venice's social summer calendar is also filled with notable events like the Festa di San Marco, a water parade of traditional row boats; La Biennale, the (mostly) free art biennial event that features hundreds of international artists; and the Venice Film Festival in the Lido.
- Lisbon, Portugal, down 26% over last summer – Step back in time in Lisbon, Portugal. The coastal capital city is the picture-perfect place for summertime strolls past ornate, colonial architecture, historic sites like St. George's Castle and Instagram-worthy views. Take a break from walking and hop on Tram 28 through the hilly Alfama neighborhood and get lost in the narrow, cobblestone streets flanked by cafes and shops.
- Knoxville, Tennessee, down 17% over last summer – Knoxville, Tenn., has a rich 225-year-old history that has beckoned travelers for decades. Music lovers will appreciate this summer's cheap airfare, as well as diverse musical offerings, including free live music six days a week at the Downtown Visitors Center and A-list country and rock 'n' roll concerts. A free trolley whisks travelers around downtown where visitors can learn more about the Civil War sites in the area.
- Dublin, Ireland, down 16% over last summer – The U.S. now has 20 airports offering direct flights to Ireland, making access easy and increasing the chances of scoring cheap airfare. You don't need the luck of the Irish to discover Dublin on a budget either. We've found plenty of cheap (and many free) things to do in the capital of the Emerald Isle, like shopping local at the popular Ha'Penny Vintage and Craft Market, listening to local musicians for free at Whelan's and people watching on Grafton Street. Summertime is also prime time to visit Dublin. Special events this summer include Bloomsday in celebration of James Joyce, Taste of Dublin and the Dublin Writers Festival.
Five equally awesome destinations (also with lower average airfares this summer) include: Colorado Springs, Colorado; Charleston, South Carolina; Hilo, Hawaii; Guatemala City, Guatemala, and Spokane, Washington. For more details and Cheapflights.com's complete list of 10 places to go where the airfare is low, head to www.cheapflights.com/news/summer-airfare-deals.
About Cheapflights.com, part of the Momondo Group
Founded in 1996, Cheapflights is a leading global flight comparison and deals publishing platform. It is now a market leader in the UK, U.S., Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand generating over $3 billion in global downstream revenue for its partners as it expands into numerous other territories. More than 120 million users visit its websites and apps each year, receiving more than two billion search results a month from across 900,000 routes. The 10 million strong opt-in subscribers to the Cheapflights newsletter receive the best deals from over 120 travel businesses – for whom it has driven more than $65 million in revenue this year. Together, the Cheapflights platforms generate enough bookings for its partners to fill a Boeing 747 every five minutes.
In 2011, Cheapflights became part of the privately owned online travel search and inspiration network, Momondo Group.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/this-summer-fly-for-up-to-40-less-than-last-year-to-cheapflightscoms-money-saving-vacation-picks-300441919.html