2014

Three in Ten Organizations Will Close for Business on Martin Luther King Day

ARLINGTON, Va., Jan. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In observance of Martin Luther King Day, slightly more than three in ten employers (31 percent) will give all or most workers a paid holiday on Monday, January 16, according to Bloomberg BNA's most recent survey of holiday practices.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120110/DC33627LOGO)

This is only a marginal 1 percentage-point change from figures reported by employers for 2011 (30 percent). While up slightly from 2010 levels (28 percent), this 2012 employer report is identical with that reported for 2009 (31 percent). While there has been no significant change over the past six years in the proportion of organizations giving Martin Luther King Day as a paid holiday, recent levels of paid leave on Martin Luther King Day are a significant increase over what was observed in the first 11 years of this holiday. Only 14 percent of surveyed employers made Martin Luther King Day a paid holiday in 1987 and figures stayed in the teens for seven years until a spike in 1994 (24 percent). Figures remained in the low to mid-20 percent range before climbing to 30 percent for the first time in 2004.

Consistent with past years, nonbusiness employers are much more likely to make Martin Luther King Day a paid holiday than are nonmanufacturing or manufacturing establishments.  More than six in ten nonbusiness organizations (61 percent) will make January 16 a paid holiday, compared with 23 percent of nonmanufacturing firms and 8 percent of manufacturers.

Organizations with a union presence are somewhat more likely than those without one to designate Martin Luther King Day as a paid holiday (41 percent of unionized establishments compared with 29 percent of nonunion organizations). Larger organizations with 1,000 or more employees are more apt than their smaller counterparts to give their employees paid time off on Martin Luther King Day (39 percent versus 28 percent).  

Sample: A cross-section of 392 employers responded to a web-based survey administered from September 19 to September 30, 2011. Of these 78 percent employ fewer than 1,000 workers, while 22 percent employ 1,000 workers or more. Twenty percent of those participating were manufacturing firms, 51 percent were services/nonmanufacturing companies, and 29 percent were nonbusiness organizations.  Nonunion establishments make up 79 percent of the survey sample, while the remaining 21 percent employ at least some union-represented workers.

About Bloomberg BNA
Bloomberg BNA, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bloomberg, is a leading source of legal, regulatory, and business information for professionals. Its network of more than 2,500 reporters, correspondents, and leading practitioners delivers expert analysis, news, practice tools, and guidance — the information that matters most to professionals.  Bloomberg BNA's authoritative coverage spans the full range of legal practice areas, including tax & accounting, labor & employment, intellectual property, banking & securities, employee benefits, health care, privacy & security, human resources, and environment, health & safety. www.bna.com

Available Topic Expert: For information on the listed expert, click appropriate link.
Matthew Sottong
http://www.profnetconnect.com/matthew_sottong

SOURCE Bloomberg BNA



RELATED LINKS
http://www.bna.com

More by this Source


Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

 

PR Newswire Membership

Fill out a PR Newswire membership form or contact us at (888) 776-0942.

Learn about PR Newswire services

Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.