LAS VEGAS, Jan. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Thumbplay (www.thumbplay.com), the leading provider of mobile entertainment in the U.S., launched the Thumbplay Music™ application in Private Beta at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES). The app was demonstrated at the BlackBerry® booth at CES. Currently available by invitation-only on select BlackBerry® Smartphones* as well as a downloadable Adobe® AIR® desktop version (PC/Mac-compatible), Thumbplay Music is a cloud-based, subscription music service that provides unlimited, on-demand access to millions of songs. Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment, Warner Music Group and EMI Music, as well as CD Baby, INgrooves, IODA, The Orchard and dozens of additional independent labels, will also be featured in the service.
Thumbplay Music is a next generation music service, built by experts in mobile content delivery to serve the rapidly growing market of U.S. Smartphone users which is forecasted to grow to 160 million people by 2013.** To request an invitation to join the Private Beta, sign in here: http://music.thumbplay.com/.
Thumbplay Music includes its own in-app media player and boasts several compelling features, including:
- Unlimited, on-demand access to any artist or album; includes millions of high-quality songs
- Search – Find music by artist, song, album or genre; includes free previews of all songs
- Favorites – a quick, intuitive way to build a personal music collection that automatically synchronizes between smartphones and the desktop app
- Online and offline Smartphone access, listen to music without Wi-Fi® or network connection. Whether underground or mid-flight, playlists are available for listening offline -- delivering true portability on BlackBerry Smartphones
- Effortless playlist creation; add songs or albums to playlists which automatically, wirelessly synchronize across PC, Mac and Smartphone devices
- AutoPlaylist -- Instantly generate expert recommendations based on favorite songs; a great way to discover new music
- iTunes® playlist re-creation within Thumbplay Music's desktop app. With a few clicks, recreate iTunes playlists and have them available on your PC and BlackBerry Smartphone.
Evan Schwartz, Thumbplay Co-Founder and CEO said, "We were immensely proud to showcase Thumbplay Music's Private Beta at the BlackBerry booth at CES. This is, without question, an application BlackBerry Smartphone users will truly embrace and enjoy.
Schwartz continued, "Over the last five years, we've developed a deep understanding about what it takes to build a successful mobile entertainment product around a sound business model in the U.S., and every ounce of that know-how is going into Thumbplay Music. With the incredible growth and functionality of Smartphones, we are now able to deliver an exceptional music experience -- music the way our customers have long been asking for – a service that is easy-to-use, offers unlimited choice and access, and provides total portability."
Thumbplay Music will become widely available to consumers within the first quarter of 2010 and the service will include a free, three-day trial of its unlimited, on-demand service. Following the trial period, subscriptions are $9.99 per month.
Thumbplay, which enjoys sustained profitability, has built an award-winning service centered on delivering millions of pieces of mobile content to more than 2,500 devices among every major carrier in the U.S. Thumbplay will leverage its existing network of more than 7,000 distribution partners to promote Thumbplay Music.
Thumbplay, Inc. is defining the mobile entertainment experience for U.S. consumers. Thumbplay.com features licensed music, video and games from some of the world's largest entertainment companies, including: EMI, Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group, as well as several independent labels and artists and video game companies. Headquartered in New York City, Thumbplay was founded in September 2004 by Are Traasdahl and Evan Schwartz. Investors include Bain Capital Ventures, SoftBank Capital, i-Hatch Ventures, Redwood Partners, New Enterprise Associates, Meritech, Brookside Capital Partners and Cross Creek Capital. More information can be found at www.thumbplay.com or at m.thumbplay.com from a mobile phone.
*As of January 7, 2010, the Private Beta launch of Thumbplay Music supports the following BlackBerry Smartphones: BlackBerry® Tour™ 9630 (Verizon, Sprint), BlackBerry® Bold™ 9000 (AT&T) and BlackBerry® Curve™ 8900 (T-Mobile).
**Yankee Group (2009)
All trademarks property of their respective owners. No partnerships implied. The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited.
SOURCE Thumbplay, Inc.