TI delivers industry's most integrated ZigBee® single-chip solution with an ARM® Cortex™-M3 microcontroller (MCU) for smart energy infrastructure, home and building automation, and intelligent lighting systems
-Integrated MCU, memory and hardware security engine in silicon for scalable, simplified designs
-Support for ZigBee Smart Energy™ and ZigBee Home Automation™ and ZigBee Light Link™ standards
-Flexible development with standards-based ZigBee PRO, ZigBee IP, IEEE 802.15.4 and 6LoWPAN IPv6 networks
DALLAS, May 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- To simplify the development of ZigBee® wireless connectivity-enabled smart energy infrastructure, home and building automation and intelligent lighting gateways, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced the availability of the CC2538 system-on-chip (SoC). The industry's most integrated ZigBee solution, the CC2538 is cost-efficient with an ARM® Cortex™-M3 MCU, memory and hardware accelerators on one piece of silicon. The CC2538 supports ZigBee PRO, ZigBee Smart Energy and ZigBee Home Automation and lighting standards to deliver interoperability with existing and future ZigBee products. The SoC also supports IP standards-based development using IEEE 802.15.4 and 6LoWPAN IPv6 networks for maximum flexibility. For more information on the CC2538, available development kits and Z-Stack™ software please see: www.ti.com/cc2538-pr.
"The dynamic nature of smart energy, home automation and lighting systems require performance and flexibility to meet the varying memory, security and standard support needs of manufacturers," said Mark Grazier, program manager, Wireless Connectivity Solutions, TI. "The CC2538 is truly a unique product in the market with its integration and support of ZigBee and other IP-based standards like 802.15.4 and 6LoWPAN IPv6."
Additional features and benefits of the CC2538:
- Efficient processing for centralized networks and reduced bill of materials cost through integrated ARM Cortex-M3 core
- Support smart energy infrastructure applications with scalable memory options from 128K to 512K Flash
- Sustain a mesh network with hundreds of end nodes via integrated 8K to 32K RAM options that are pin-for-pin compatible for maximum flexibility
- Enable a secure, fast bring-up a system while using less energy through AES-128/256, SHA2 integrated hardware encryption engine, optional ECC-128/256, and RSA hardware acceleration engine for secure key exchange
- Optimized for battery-powered applications using only 1.3uA in sleep mode
- Temperature operation up to 125 degrees Celsius
- Support fast digital management—no interfaces are required externally or between system-on-chip components
Full information on the CC2538 SoC can be found in the data sheet.
Development tools and software
The CC2538 development kit (CC2538DK) provides a complete development platform for the CC2538 allowing users to see all functionality without additional layout. It comes with high-performance CC2538 evaluation modules (CC2538EMK) and mother boards with an integrated ARM Cortex-M3 debug probe for software development and peripherals including an LCD, buttons, LEDs, light sensor and accelerometer for creating demo software. The boards are also compatible with TI's SmartRF™ Studio for running RF performance tests.
The CC2538 supports current and future Z-Stack releases from TI and over the air downloads of software for easier upgrades in the field.
Pricing and Availability
The CC2538 comes in an 8mm x 8mm QFN56 package and is available through authorized distributors for under $3.00 in high volumes. The CC2538 is also available through TI's free sample program.
The CC2538DK costs $299 and can be ordered on TI's eStore.
Find out more about TI's wireless connectivity solutions
- TI's ZigBee solutions: www.ti.com/zigbee
- See the CC2538 in action: www.ti.com/cc2538-pr-v
- TI's wireless connectivity solutions: www.ti.com/wirelessconnectivity
- TI's wireless connectivity guide: www.ti.com/wirelessconnectivityguide
- ConnecTIng Wirelessly blog: www.ti.com/wiconnewsletter-pr
- Monthly wireless connectivity eNewsletter: www.ti.com/connectingwirelessly-pr
- TI E2E™ wireless connectivity support community: www.ti.com/wicon-forum
ZigBee: Control your world
ZigBee offers green and global wireless standards connecting the widest range of devices to work together intelligently and help you control your world. The ZigBee Alliance is an open, non- profit association of approximately 400 members driving development of innovative, reliable and easy-to-use ZigBee standards. The Alliance promotes worldwide adoption of ZigBee as the leading wirelessly networked, sensing and control standard for use in consumer, commercial and industrial areas. For more information, visit: www.ZigBee.org.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
Z-Stack, SmartRF and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments