TI doubles memory in new MSP430™ microcontrollers offering 512K Flash and 64K RAM plus intelligent analog integration and USB peripherals MSP430F66xx devices provide more memory, analog integration and device scalability for blood glucose meters, home automation, activity monitors and low-power wireless applications
DALLAS, Jan. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Offering more memory in its 16-bit microcontroller portfolio than ever before, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announces MSP430F66xx microcontrollers with embedded 512K Flash and 64K RAM. These larger memory resources enable MSP430 devices to easily manage wireless protocols, such as Bluetooth®, Wi-Fi® and ZigBee®, making it a companion microcontroller for TI's broad portfolio of wireless connectivity applications including the SimpleLink™ family. The MSP430F66xx microcontrollers can also better support over-the-air firmware updates, graphical software libraries and more complex computing algorithms. Further easing system design, the new MSP430 family offers advanced analog integration, providing an embedded signal chain to enhance analog performance for sensor interfaces, eliminate external components and enable features such as text to speech capabilities. The combination of larger memory, integrated analog, 160-segment LCD driver and USB allows for smaller form factors and reduced system cost along with the ultra-low-power performance of the MSP portfolio. Additionally, the new MSP430F66xx devices are a code and pin compatible extension of MSP430F663x microcontrollers, which offer 256K Flash and 16k RAM, for a simple design migration path and maximum flexibility. For more information, visit www.ti.com/f66xx-pr-pf.
Software and tools for MSP430F66xx microcontrollers
MSP430F66xx microcontrollers are supported by a variety of software resources. This includes MSP430 Driver Library, which provides a full set of peripheral drivers, as well as the MSP430 USB Developers Package that delivers a complete USB software stack and code examples for rapid application development. In addition to TI's software resources, Micrium® RTOS uC/OS-II support is available enabling fail-safe, mission critical systems in real-time environments as well as a variety of wired and wireless protocol stacks such as the Bluetooth Health Device Profile (HDP) enabling Continua Certified™ telehealth applications. Target boards, including the MSP-TS430PZ100C and MSP-TS430PZ100USB, are available at TI's eStore with an experimenter board featuring audio capabilities coming later this year.
Additional features and benefits of MSP430F66xx microcontrollers
- Code and pin compatible for easy scalability across the F5xx/F6xx series while maintaining peripherals with no trade-offs for performance versus power
- Supports broad range of wireless connectivity protocols, including Bluetooth, Bluetooth low energy, near field communications (NFC), sub-1 GHz, ZigBee including SEP 2.0 architecture and Wi-Fi connectivity
- Increased memory plus analog signal chain, including 12-bit analog-to-digital (ADC) and digital-to-analog converters (DAC), for the recording and outputting of 8ksps of audio enabling basic text to speech functions
- Ultra-low standby power as low as 2uA with RAM retention enabled for 3us fast wake-up offering optimized power and performance efficiency
- Compatible with the Code Composer Studio™ integrated development environment for fast application development and debugging
- For non-LCD applications, MSP430F56xx microcontrollers offer pin and code compatibility with the 256k MSP430F563x microcontrollers
Pricing and availability
MSP430F56xx and MSP430F66xx microcontrollers are priced from $4.25 USD in volume units. Samples are immediately available. The MSP-TS430PZ100C and MSP-TS430PZ100USB target boards are available for $75 USD.
Find out more about TI's microcontrollers, tools and software:
- MSP430F66xx microcontrollers: www.ti.com/f66xx-pr-pf
- MSP430 microcontrollers: www.ti.com/f66xx-msp430-pr-lp
- MSP430 USB Developers Package: www.ti.com/f66xx-usb-pr-sw
- Continua Certified Medical USB Package: www.ti.com/f66xx-medicalusb-pr-sw
- MSP430 RTOS: www.ti.com/f66xx-msprtos-pr-sw
- MSP430Ware software: www.ti.com/f66xx-msp430ware-sw
- TI's wireless connectivity portfolio: www.ti.com/f66xx-wireless-pr-lp
- Make the Switch to TI microcontrollers: www.ti.com/maketheswitch
TI's broad portfolio of MCUs and software
From ultra-low-power and Value Line MSP430™ MCUs, to Stellaris® Cortex™-M MCUs to real-time control C2000™ MCUs, and Hercules™ safety MCUs, TI offers the broadest range of microcontroller solutions. Designers can accelerate time to market by tapping into TI's complete software and hardware tools, extensive third-party offerings and technical support.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
MSP430, C2000, Hercules, SimpleLink and Code Composer Studio are trademarks of Texas Instruments. Stellaris is a registered trademark. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated