TI eases tablet design with interface ICs for connecting displays and keyboards New devices ease design constraints and reduce board space while adding functionality
DALLAS, May 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced two new devices to ease design for tablet designers. The TCA8424 is the industry's first human interface device (HID) over I2C, 128-key keyboard controller. It eliminates the need to program the device at production, simplifying design and speeding time-to-market. The keyboard controller provides a cost-effective and seamless way to interface keyboards with Windows® 8-based systems. The SN65DSI85 is a digital serial interface (DSI) to FlatLink™ interface IC that makes it easier and more cost-effective for designers to connect graphics processors to LCD panels. The SN65DSI85 supports screen resolutions up to 2560 by 1600p in tablets, netbooks, and mobile internet devices. For more information on the TCA8424, visit www.ti.com/tca8424-pr. For more information on the SN65DSI85, visit www.ti.com/sn65dsi85-pr.
Key features and benefits of the TCA8424
- Extended keyboard support: Up to 128 (8 by 16) key scan supports standard keyboard plus additional custom keys, such as volume control, brightness control and forward/back/stop/reload/home. Competing keyboard controllers support only 80 keys.
- Unique simultaneous key press detection: Fixed-length, eight-byte input report, only available from TI, can detect up to 14 simultaneous key presses, including modifiers, allowing the end equipment to be used in applications like gaming.
- Hardware-coded HID and REPORT descriptors: Provides easy software integration into the system to ease design and speed time-to-market.
Key features and benefits of the SN65DSI85
- Optimized MIPI® DSI interface: Dual 4-lane MIPI® DSI port to dual link 18/24-bpp FlatLink is compatible with a wide range of graphics processors up to WQXGA (2500 by 1600p) resolution at 60 frames per second.
- Smallest package size: The 5-mm by 5-mm PBGA package is 20-percent smaller than competitive devices, saving PCB area in space-constrained mobile applications.
- Higher video bandwidth support: LVDS pixel clock operates up to 154 MHz, which is 20-percent higher than the competition. Each DSI lane runs at 1 Gbps, offering a maximum input bandwidth of 8 Gbps for industry-leading data throughput.
Tools and support
The TCA8424EVM showcases the capabilities and benefits of the TCA8424 in keyboard scanner applications. It can be ordered today for US$49. An IBIS model and user's guide are also available.
A variety of tools and support are also available to speed development with the SN65DSI85, including IBIS and HSPICE models, DSI tuner software, a hardware implementation guide and the video configuration guide and configuration tool software user's manual.
Support is available on the Interface Forum in the TI E2E™ Community, where engineers can ask questions and get answers from TI experts.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The TCA8424 is available in a 6-mm by 6-mm by 1-mm 40-pin VQFN package. Suggested retail pricing is US$0.80 in 1,000-unit quantities. The SN65DSI85 is available in a 5-mm by 5-mm by 1-mm, 64-ball PBGA package. Suggested retail pricing is US$3.90 in 1,000-unit quantities.
TI analog for consumer electronics
TI's broad range of power management and analog signal chain products offers design engineers the high performance, low power and integration they need to create innovative and differentiated consumer electronics. TI is engineering the future with gesture recognition, touch feedback, energy harvesting, wireless power, audio, health technology and more. Learn how TI analog products improve how we live, work and play at www.ti.com/analogconsumer-pr.
Learn more about TI's Interface portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order TCA8424 samples: www.ti.com/tca8424s-pr.
- Download the TCA8424 datasheet.
- Order SN65DSI85 samples: www.ti.com/sn65dsi85s-pr.
- Download the SN65DSI85 datasheet.
- View a tablet system block diagram: www.ti.com/tabletinterface-pr.
- View the TCA8424 video.
- View the SN65DSI85 video.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E and FlatLink are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated