TI introduces 10-A SWIFT™ DC/DC converter with highest current density 17-V synchronous buck converter integrates MOSFETs and features tiny HotRod™ package
DALLAS, April 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a new synchronous step-down DC/DC converter with integrated MOSFETs in a very small 3.5-mm by 3.5-mm HotRod™ QFN package. The SWIFT™ 10-A TPS54020 features the highest power density and includes frequency synchronization, 180-degree out-of-phase switching and selectable current limit to power FPGAs, system-on-chip (SoC), DSPs and processors in high-voltage, space-constrained communication, gaming and industrial computing applications. Using the converter together with TI's WEBENCH® online design tool simplifies high-voltage DC/DC conversion and speeds the design process. For more information and samples, visit www.ti.com/tps54020-pr.
The new HotRod integrated circuit package protects the integrated MOSFETs from parasitic inductance and allows low resistance, enabling high current and efficiency and small size. The thermally enhanced, 15-lead package is 50 percent smaller than similar offerings.
The TPS54020 joins TI's point-of-load DC/DC converter family, which includes the 6-A TPS54623 in a 3-mm by 3-mm QFN package, and the 12-A LM21212-1 and 15-A LM21215 converters, offered in a thermally enhanced eTSSOP-20 exposed pad package.
Key features and benefits of the TPS54020 DC/DC converter
- Integrated 8-milliohm high-side and 6-milliohm low-side MOSFETs provide up to 96-percent efficiency from 12 V to 1 V.
- Selectable 6-A, 8-A and 10-A current limit thresholds allow optimization for efficiency at a lower output current, while reducing the size of external components.
- 180-degree out-of-phase switching reduces input current ripple by up to 50 percent.
- 200-KHz to 1.2-MHz adjustable switching frequency supports small output inductors and capacitors for further space savings.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The TPS54020 DC/DC converter is available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors. It is offered in a 15-lead HotRod QFN package and is priced at US$3.45 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Find out more about TI's power modules:
- Order samples and an evaluation board of the new DC/DC converter: www.ti.com/tps54020-pr.
- Design a complete power management system online with TI's WEBENCH Power Designer: www.ti.com/webenchpwr-pr.
- Get more information on all of TI's SWIFT DC/DC converters: http://www.ti.com/swift-pr.
- Ask questions and share knowledge in the power forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/powerforum-pr.
- Download power reference designs from TI's PowerLab™ Reference Design Library: www.ti.com/powerlab-pr.
About WEBENCH tools from Texas Instruments
The WEBENCH Designer and Architect component libraries include more than 30,000 components from 120 manufacturers. Price and availability is updated hourly by TI's distribution partners for design optimization and production planning. Offered in eight languages, the user can compare complete system designs and make supply chain decisions in minutes. To start a cost-free design, visit TI's WEBENCH design environment at www.ti.com/webench-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
WEBENCH is a registered trademark and SWIFT, HotRod, TI E2E and PowerLab are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated