TI introduces industry-leading LED drivers for high-performance lighting Drivers enhance dimming performance and color rendering in indoor and outdoor lighting
DALLAS, April 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced three new DC/DC LED drivers that simplify white color tuning for high-color rendering and ultra-low dimming in professional-grade indoor and outdoor LED lighting applications. The TPS92660 two-string LED driver and TPS92640/1 synchronous buck controllers address the challenges of precise color and brightness control lighting that designers face in creating high quality light engines for commercial area lighting, including architectural and retail displays, as well as LED-based projection systems and automotive running lights. For more information and samples, visit www.ti.com/tps92660-pr and www.ti.com/tps92640-pr.
TI and Avnet will demonstrate the TPS92660 in Avnet's booth #3101 at LIGHTFAIR International in Philadelphia, April 23-25.
The TPS92660 is an 80-V input voltage, two-string LED driver consisting of one DC/DC buck regulator and one linear channel for two-color, typically white plus red, LED mixing. Using the I2C interface and one-time programmable ROM, a lighting manufacturer can precisely tune the white correlated color temperature (CCT) and brightness of the luminaire during production to deliver exceptional lumen quality required in area, retail and architectural lighting. This method of color tuning eliminates the need for expensive binned LEDs, reducing system costs. Analog or pulse width modulation (PWM) input signals can be used for brightness and color adjustment after ROM programming.
The TPS92640 and TPS92641 are 85-V input voltage, adjustable frequency, synchronous buck DC/DC LED controllers with industry-leading contrast ratios that deliver smooth, deep dimming profiles required in indoor/outdoor area lighting and LED projectors. The controllers accept analog and PWM inputs resulting in dimming ratios of 500:1 and 2500:1, respectively. Continuous-conduction mode operation preserves dimming linearity, which enables the TPS92640/1 to provide true analog "dim to zero" capability. The TPS92641 adds one input and one output pin for 20,000:1 ratio parallel shunt FET dimming.
For intelligent lighting systems, the TPS92660 and TPS92640/1 can be paired with TI's 16-bit ultra-low power MSP430 microcontrollers for dimming control.
The TPS92660 and TPS92640/1 join TI's diverse LED driver portfolio that includes the LM3409, LM3421/3/4 and TPS92551 DC/DC LED drivers, as well as the TPS92075, LM3447, TPS92310/11/14 AC/DC LED drivers.
Key features and benefits of TPS92660 and TPS92640/1:
- TPS92660 two-string LED driver
- I2C and on-time programmable ROM for trim of white CCT and lumen output eliminates need for binned LEDs.
- Accepts PWM or analog dimming for brightness and color adjustment.
- Integrated 3-V +/- 3 percent voltage reference can be used for housekeeping circuits.
- TPS92640/1 synchronous buck controller
- Analog, PWM and shunt FET dimming with 500:1, 2500:1, 20,000:1 contrast ratios.
- 7-V to 85-V input operating range works with a variety of LED string voltages.
- Synchronous, continuous conduction mode, constant current output with simple compensation scheme provides high system efficiency and simplifies circuit design.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The TPS92660, TPS92640 and TPS92641 are available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors. Offered in a 20-pin PowerPad™ TSSOP, the TPS92660 is $1.50 each in 1,000-unit quantities. The TPS92640, offered in a 14-pin PowerPad TSSOP and the TPS92641, offered in a 16-pin PowerPad TSSOP, are priced at $1.75 and $1.85, respectively.
Find out more about TI's LED lighting portfolio:
- Order samples and an evaluation module of the new LED drivers: www.ti.com/tps92660-pr and www.ti.com/tps92640-pr.
- Design a complete LED power management system with TI's WEBENCH® LED Architect: www.ti.com/ledwebench-pr.
- Get more information on all of TI's lighting products: www.ti.com/lighting-pr.
- Ask questions and share knowledge in the LED forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/ledforum-pr.
- Download LED reference designs from TI's PowerLab™ Reference Design Library: www.ti.com/powerlab-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
WEBENCH is a registered trademark and PowerPad, TI E2E and PowerLab are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated