DALLAS, May 31, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the industry's first 40-A, 16-VIN synchronous step-down DC/DC converter with true differential remote-voltage sensing. The SWIFT TPS548D22 buck converter features a small PowerStack™ package and integrated MOSFETs to drive application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs) and digital signal processors (DSPs) in space-constrained applications. When used with TI's WEBENCH® Power Designer tool, the TPS548D22 enables engineers to get their power-dense wired and wireless communications; enterprise and cloud computing; and data-storage systems designs to market faster. For more information, samples and an evaluation module, see www.ti.com/tps548d22-pr.
The TPS548D22 DC/DC converter employs the D-CAP3™ control-mode topology, features 0.5 percent reference-voltage accuracy over temperature, and includes true differential remote-voltage sensing to meet voltage requirements of deep submicron processors. Read the blog post, "Using converters in high-current, point-of-load applications."
TPS548D22 key features and benefits
- Integrated 2.9/1.2 milli-ohm high-/low-side RDS(ON) power MOSFETs increase power density and system reliability.
- True differential remote-voltage sensing improves load regulation for overall system accuracy.
- The easy to use D-CAP3 adaptive on-time control mode provides high accuracy and very fast load-transient response and requires no loop compensation, which simplifies design and minimizes external component count. Read the application note, "Accuracy-Enhanced Ramp-Generation Design for D-CAP3 Modulation," for more information on the value of D-CAP3 control mode.
- PowerStack quad flat no-lead (QFN) packaging offers very high power density and allows easy heat sinking from the single ground pad on the bottom of the integrated circuit (IC) into the internal printed circuit board ground layers with very few vias.
- Other features that help ensure predictable and reliable operation include internal soft start, input undervoltage protection and thermal shutdown.
The TPS548D22 is the first in a family of 40-A converters to join TI's high-current DC/DC SWIFT product portfolio. To determine if a converter with integrated MOSFETs is right for your point-of-load power-supply design, watch the video, "Point-of-Load Power Supplies: Converters or Controllers?" Start a design with the TPS548D22 now: download the Power System for Enterprise Ethernet Switches Reference Design and TPS548D22 quick-start design tool.
Availability, packaging and pricing
Available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors, the TPS548D22 is packaged in a 40-pin, 5-mm by 7-mm by 1.5-mm PowerStack QFN package and priced at US$4.19 in 1,000-unit quantities. Order the TPS548D22EVM-784 evaluation module.
Find out more about TI's power-management portfolio
- Get more information on TI's SWIFT portfolio of well featured, high-performance switching regulators with integrated FETs.
- Search for solutions, get help and share knowledge in the TI E2E™ Community Power Management forum.
- Download power reference designs from the TI Designs™ reference design library.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
About SWIFT products from Texas Instruments
Part of TI's portfolio of industry-leading DC/DC converters, the SWIFT product line includes more than 130 converters with integrated MOSFETs supporting input voltage ranges from 3 V to 25 V. The products are designed to power DSPs, field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) and other processors, and are fully functional in TI's WEBENCH Power Designer, Power Architect and FPGA Power Architect design and prototyping tools. See more information on TI's SWIFT product portfolio.
About WEBENCH tools from Texas Instruments
WEBENCH Designer and Power Architect are the industry's only online tools that enable end-to-end circuit design, simulation and optimization for footprint, price and efficiency, with the ability to download schematic and PCB layout files directly into computer-aided design (CAD) tools. Component libraries include more than 40,000 components from 120 manufacturers, and TI's distribution partners update price and availability hourly. Offered in eight languages, users can compare complete system designs and make supply-chain decisions in minutes. Start a cost-free design now in TI's WEBENCH Power Designer environment.
WEBENCH is a registered trademark and SWIFT, D-CAP3, PowerStack, TI Designs and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ti-introduces-industrys-highest-current-40-a-16-vin-converter-300276434.html
SOURCE Texas Instruments