TI introduces most flexible, fully-integrated IO-LINK PHY with fault protection
Physical layer devices offer high output current with highest operating temperatures for harsh industrial applications
DALLAS, June 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a new family of fully-integrated IO-LINK physical (PHY) layer devices, replacing discrete implementations and providing a great level of flexibility. The SN65HVD101 and SN65HVD102 provide higher output current and higher operating temperatures compared to the competition. This enables their use in point-to-point communication applications such as pressure, level, temperature or flow IO-LINK sensors and IO-LINK actuator drives and valves in harsh industrial applications. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/sn65hvd101-pr.
Key features and benefits of the SN65HVD101 and SN65HVD102
- Integration slashes board space: The new IO-LINK PHY devices integrate a voltage regulator with the ability to supply up to 20 mA for local circuits, which reduces board area by 50 percent compared to discrete implementations and enables adaptation to existing 3.3-V or 5-V controllers.
- Survives cross-wire faults: These devices integrate up to 40-V, steady-state protection to prevent damage due to installation faults or cable breaks. Up to 50-V transient protection prevents damage from power surges on field voltages, eliminating the need for an external protection device.
- Highest operating temperature: With an operating temperature range of -40 C to +105 C, the SN65HVD101 and SN65HVD102 are the only IO-LINK PHY devices with robust capability for use in harsh industrial applications.
- Widest output current range: These ICs drive up to 480 mA for interoperability with a wide range of sensors and small actuators, while competitors drive at 300 mA or less. The output current can also be set with a single resistor to provide self-limiting for safe operation in lower-power applications.
Solutions utilizing IO-LINK require a microcontroller (MCU) in the slave device configuration of the standard. TI's ultra-low power MSP430TM MCUs are the best fit for point-to-point communication and low-power operation. With up to 512KB of flash memory and integrated analog-to-digital converters (ADCs), these MCUs are equipped to quickly process data from various types of sensors.
Tools and support
The SN65HVD101EVM is available to evaluate device parameters while acting as a guide for board layout. It can be ordered today for US$79.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The SN65HVD101 and SN65HVD102 are available in a 4-mm by 3.5-mm, 20-pin VQFN package. Suggested retail pricing in 1,000-unit quantities starts at US$2.23.
Learn more about TI's line circuit interface portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order SN65HVD101 samples
- Order SN65HVD101 evaluation modules
- Follow what TI signal chain experts have to say on our blog: www.ti.com/analogwire-pr.
- Download a news release graphic at: www.ti.com/newscenterphotos-pr.
TI analog for industrial
TI is the industrial semiconductor leader, providing a diverse and readily available portfolio of analog integrated circuits (ICs) for a broad range of applications, including smart grid, factory automation, high-voltage power, LED lighting and control. TI data converters, ampliﬁers, interface, isolation, clocking, and power management devices enable customers to differentiate their products, while TI software, design tools and reference designs simplify and accelerate design cycles. Learn how TI analog innovations are improving industrial safety, efficiency and reliability at www.ti.com/industrial-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E and MSP430 are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments (TI)
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.