TI introduces new sensorless, brushless DC motor driver to spin motors instantly
Single-chip solution reduces board space, extends battery life and requires no external protection component
DALLAS, May 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today expanded its sensorless, brushless DC (BLDC) motor driver portfolio with a new device designed for high efficiency and low noise, which requires a low external component count of only one capacitor. The DRV10963 is a 5-V, 3-phase sensorless BLDC motor driver that simplifies layout and reduces board space by 80 percent, allowing designers to create smaller, sleeker, more innovative designs. It includes integrated commutation logic, which enables instant motor spin with no code development, while its 180-degree pure sinusoidal outputs provide an efficient and quiet drive. For more information or to place an order, visit www.ti.com/drv10963-pr.
Key features and benefits of the DRV10963:
- Extended battery life: Low operating range of 5.5 to 2.1 V, low RDSON of less than 1.5 ohm and ultra-low sleep currents extend battery life up to 25 percent compared to nearest competition in fans and portable, battery-powered personal health care and grooming devices, including electric razors and toothbrushes. It provides the lowest quiescent current to further extend battery life – 15 uA compared to 30 uA for the closest competitor.
- Accelerated time to market: Integrated commutation logic eliminates code development, while advanced on-chip protection reduces design complexity and improves system reliability.
- Reduced board space and ease of use: Single-chip solution slashes board space by 80 percent compared other discrete solutions, and integrated power MOSFETs simplify layout.
- Efficient and quiet drive: Pure sinusoidal outputs provide efficiency and noise-free operation.
Tools and support
The DRV10963EVM evaluation module (EVM) is a cost-effective, sensorless solution for running a 3-phase BLDC motor. The EVM includes a TLC555 low-power timer configured to supply pulse width modulation (PWM), and a potentiometer to adjust the speed of the motor.
Support is available on the Motor Driver Forum in the TI E2ETM Community, where engineers can ask questions and get answers from TI experts.
Package, availability and pricing
The DRV10963 is available now in a thermally efficient, 10-pin 3x3 mm USON package with an exposed thermal pad for a suggested retail price of US$0.49 in 1,000 unit quantities.
Learn more about TI's motor control solutions by visiting the links below:
- Order samples of the DRV10963: www.ti.com/drv10963-sample-pr
- Purchase the DRV10963EVM evaluation module: www.ti.com/drv10963evm-buy-pr
- Download the DRV10963 datasheet: www.ti.com/drv10963-ds-pr.
- Check out motor drive and control selection guides, training, videos, application notes and block diagrams: www.ti.com/motor-pr.
- Visit the Motor Drive & Control blog: www.ti.com/motorblog-pr
- Watch a "how to" video on when to use a pre-driver vs. an integrated motor driver, www.ti.com/motordrivers-pr, or thermal considerations when selecting an integrated motor driver, www.ti.com/thermalconsiderations-pr.
TI spins motors
TI combines a rich history in motor drive and control, a broad portfolio of analog and microcontroller products and a comprehensive offering of tools, software and support to deliver efficient, reliable, cost-effective motor solutions. Customers can get the right solutions at the right performance level to quickly spin any motor, including AC induction (ACIM), brushed DC, brushless DC (BLDC), PMSM and stepper.
TI analog for consumer electronics
TI's broad range of power management and analog signal chain products offers design engineers the high performance, low power and integration they need to create innovative and differentiated consumer electronics. TI is engineering the future with gesture recognition, touch feedback, energy harvesting, wireless power, audio, health technology and more. Learn how TI analog products improve how we live, work and play at www.ti.com/analogconsumer-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
More by this Source
Texas Instruments to webcast its 4Q13 mid-quarter financial update
Dec 02, 2013, 11:30 ET
TI CEO Rich Templeton to deliver keynote at Credit Suisse investor conference
Nov 25, 2013, 10:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.